Paris Terror Attacks

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
RIFA wrote:That demonstration made no sense.
Well perhaps not to you but to us, it did :| sooo

And I don't know about your countries but French media do talk about Nigeria and what happened, just saying

SomeFrenchToast wrote:
RIFA wrote:That demonstration made no sense.
Well perhaps not to you but to us, it did :| sooo
I'm not saying it didn't felt good but sometimes we must do the wiser things and not react on... impulse. You basically encouraged these guys to do even more harm so they can be in the spotlights again. You do realize they are laughing right now on how much attention is given to them right?
Ruth wrote:Soo... no one really gives a shit about Nigeria and Boko Haram. I'm not even surprised.
Also it's pretty normal what happened in Paris will get tons of coverage compared to what happened in Nigeria. But the answer isn't because the media is biased or the whites are racist. Sorry to disappoint if you thought that's the case.

It's probably because there's a general ignorance and dismissal of "stuff that happens in Africa".

Though, I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me why I'm wrong.

Ignorance maybe. Dismissal not really.

Joker's "It's all part of the plan" little moment fits here... of course brought into a more elaborate scenario.

People dying in Africa because of violence or one's insane behavior, while upsetting, is far from being something surprising. The recent mass murder has been talked in the media exactly because even for those horrible standards it was too much. However, you cannot expect it to be talked over what happened in Paris. Simply because what happened in France is uncommon.

This is not about bias nor racism. It's about the rarity of an act and obviously it's wider implications. That's what the news-programs will focus on. In fact... this alone pretty much shows how impartial and detached the news-programs usually are. And that's the way they should be. You may consider it a sad fact or whatever but at the end of the day one child dying of starvation in Sudan is not news. One child dying of starvation in Sweden would be. Same with these horrible events that took place in France and Nigeria.

I'll even go further with the hypocrisy argument here and say that... those that feel the need to yell "ignorance" when the news broadcast the Paris attacks over the crimes in Nigeria they should go out and yell every time there's a mass-murder in a ghetto and it's not on the news like the robbed kid in the rich neighborhood.

RIFA wrote:Ignorance maybe. Dismissal not really.

Joker's "It's all part of the plan" little moment fits here... of course brought into a more elaborate scenario.

People dying in Africa because of violence or one's insane behavior, while upsetting, is far from being something surprising. The recent mass murder has been talked in the media exactly because even for those horrible standards it was too much. However, you cannot expect it to be talked over what happened in Paris. Simply because what happened in France is uncommon.

This is not about bias nor racism. It's about the rarity of an act and obviously it's wider implications. That's what the news-programs will focus on. In fact... this alone pretty much shows how impartial and detached the news-programs usually are. And that's the way they should be. You may consider it a sad fact or whatever but at the end of the day one child dying of starvation in Sudan is not news. One child dying of starvation in Sweden would be. Same with these horrible events that took place in France and Nigeria.

I'll even go further with the hypocrisy argument here and say that... those that feel the need to yell "ignorance" when the news broadcast the Paris attacks over the crimes in Nigeria they should go out and yell every time there's a mass-murder in a ghetto and it's not on the news like the robbed kid in the rich neighborhood.
tl;dr version: "double standards make the world go round" :D

yeah free speech is a fantastic, vital human right ... except when people don't like it

Lol that's so stupid

That was stupid.