Syria Crisis

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
chinn70 wrote: Then this is the case with every developing country. The rich families enjoy their privileges, while the poor remain the same for years.
Indeed, until recently South America (and to a lesser extent East Asia) resembled the Middle East, with immense amounts of wealth being controlled by wealthy elites, and dictatorships propped from the West. Much of Latin America's economic problems are directly due to interference by the United States. The US has a long history of overthrowing governments that are too successful at spreading prosperity in Latin America and replacing them with dictatorships that are more profitable for American commercial interests throughout the region. But there’s sorta been a recent shift in regional balance of power from American interests to a more domestic interests. Brazil and Venzeula are currently the world’s two most successful nations at poverty reduction. They’ve achieved miracles over there. Meanwhile, Egypt has 40% illiteracy rate, out of 80 million people.

And this emergence of South American unity, a good example is the recent stop and search of the Bolivian president’s plane to search for Snowden. Many South American leaders made furious statements about it and they called an emergency meeting of UNASUR (Union of South American Nations) to decide what to do. Kirchner and Rapheal Correa and others mentioned colonialism several times. That's exactly what the Arab world needs, that unity and anti-imperialistic aggression.

When I see any cultural heritage destroyed, especially in our rich area, it makes me sad. I’m not just referring to Syria, but the whole region, no place on Earth has seen more civilizations or has a richer history than the Middle East. It doesn’t matter who bombed the Umayyad mosque or destroyed the 3000 year-old Assyrian artifacts or whatever, it useless pointing fingers. All of them represent a period of who our ancestors were, and the civilization they prospered in. The historical relevance of these sites and artifacts is a part of our past and heritage, this is what constitutes our identity.

Unfortunately I've never been to Syria, and I know that there are many places there I want to visit and spend some precious minutes absorbing the centuries these places represent. But now everything worth visiting in Syria has all been destroyed in one way or another :(