Amanda Knox: Guilty or Not Guilty?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

it's obvious
she's hot :ninja:

Yeah but hot or not, if she did it, she deserves the punishment Chinnman. Italy has a funny criminal justice system.

She has scary eyes though.

Oh I like her new haircut.

Well, I got tired of hearing all the tabloid style coverage of this case so I took upon myself to see the details of this case for myself, and by details I mean reading the entire Wikipedia page on the murder as well as an article or two.

The first thing you notice about this case is how the investigation of Amanda Knox by Italian authorities was bungled at every turn, for instance evidence was contaminated or was it? They're not sure if evidence was contaminated. Knox was interrogated unfairly into long hours of the night without allowance of a lawyer and was unfairly coerced into a false confession, or was she? Again they're not sure.

All of those issues I listed would not be issues if they had been handled in a merely competent investigation. There is no reason why the interview/interrogation should not have been audio recorded and there is no reason why important evidence to the case should have been handled by gloves that were visibly dirty. If those mistakes hadn't been made this case would be a lot more certain.

Now because of those mistakes we have a case operating on nothing but a "he said she said" level which is not suitable to to make any legal decision. However, the fact that the case is now a "he said she said" case has never stopped court systems from proceeding.

As for clear unbiased details that might incriminate Knox is the fact that she was the first person known to be at the scene of the crime and she called the police to arrive after she noticed signs of a break in. This supposed break in, according to Italian authorities, was a faked break in to mislead detectives which increased suspicion around Knox. I haven't been able find clear details on why they think the break in was faked so I'm inclined to doubt that judgement seeing as all the others mistakes the detectives made.

As for the court of public opinion for Knox the only thing that seems somewhat suspicious is the fact that her story changed slightly throughout the years (personally I think it would be difficult to remember and maintain the details of 1 particular night over the course of 4 years) The only other semi-incrminating detail in the court of public opinion is that the friends of the murder victim said Knox did not show emotion when they saw her, which I think doesn't mean much sense witnesses said they saw her cry earlier that day.

From my tone you probably can see I don't believe Knox committed the murder. But then the question becomes who did? Well, crime scene evidence shows the DNA of someone named Rudy Guede all over the crime scene to the extent that it's obvious he was involved in the murder. Guede was convicted and is in prison. But the crime scene detectives believe multiple people were involved in the killing, again I'm not sure why the detectives think that but I'm inclined to have doubts again. Why do I have have doubts? Because the DNA of no other person was found at the scene of the crime, If Guede's DNA was found in abundance and yet no trace of an accomplice's DNA was found I'm inclined to believe he acted alone.

Lastly, I have my reservations about the Italian legal system this whole trial has been bungled and you can't deny the fact that this looks an awful lot like double jeopardy. Not to mention that while Italy is a democracy it is what's known as a "flawed democracy" which puts it on par with nations like Argentina or Poland. The reason for this flawed democracy is the corruption we have heard about many times through the years.

The fact of the matter is in the US Knox may very well have been convicted under the same circumstances, but I would still disagree with the decision I would say there is a 30-40% chance she was involved in the murder. This all being said I am also informed by my personal philosophy that the burden is on the state and I do not believe people should be locked up because they have a gut feeling someone did a crime. I would rather see a guilty 2nd degree murderer walk free than a totally innocent citizen be imprisoned for their entire life for a crime they didn't commit. Some people will obviously disagree with me on that opinion and I will welcome the debate.

All this to say... No, I don't think Amanda Knox is guilty, but I can't be sure.

jibran wrote:Yeah but hot or not, if she did it, she deserves the punishment Chinnman. Italy has a funny criminal justice system.

She has scary eyes though.
no she deserves you....ha ha..
jk