al-Qaeda and its motivations

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I felt the "religion thread," was a bit too broad for this subject, so I've made a new thread.

This particular article tells the tale of a Yemeni man who adores America, and has testified before the U.S. Senate committee. In his testimony however, he states why the U.S.' intervention, particularly with the drone program, has empowered al-Qaeda, and is used as a recruiting tool.

Here is an excerpt:

"They use innocents killed by drone strikes as a recruiting tool and rely on the impression drones create that America is at war with all Yemenis. One little boy, whose father was killed in a drone strike, carries a picture of a plane in his pocket and says he wants revenge against his father's killer, "America." Drone strikes "are the face of America to many Yemenis," he reports. "If America is providing economic, social and humanitarian assistance to Yemen, the vast majority of the Yemeni people know nothing about it. Everyone in Yemen, however, knows about America and its drones."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... er/275248/

Thread title immediately reminded me of this:

chom wrote:Thread title immediately reminded me of this:

+10

That video is intense.

"The surviving brother has told investigators that the pair acted alone, were inspired by an al Qaeda propaganda magazine, and plotted the bombing to defend Islam after the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, federal law enforcement officials told NBC News."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... party?lite

Again, I rest my case. Straight from the perpetrators mouth. It isn't about us being a free and prosperous society, it's about our presence and involvement in the Middle East through war, drones and strategic alliances.

Skyab23 wrote:"The surviving brother has told investigators that the pair acted alone, were inspired by an al Qaeda propaganda magazine, and plotted the bombing to defend Islam after the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, federal law enforcement officials told NBC News."

Again, I rest my case. Straight from the perpetrators mouth. It isn't about us being a free and prosperous society, it's about our presence and involvement in the Middle East through war, drones and strategic alliances.
Well that's a shame.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Skyab23 wrote:"The surviving brother has told investigators that the pair acted alone, were inspired by an al Qaeda propaganda magazine, and plotted the bombing to defend Islam after the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, federal law enforcement officials told NBC News."

Like hasn't that been common knowledge?
Say Girl

Peace wrote:

Definitely not common knowledge to the average person. Most think they are at war with us because we are free and prosperous and we're Christians. It has been framed as an Islam vs Christianity fight. When in all reality it's our continued meddling in the Persian Gulf that has exacerbated the issue. Every perpetrator who is affiliated with al-Qaeda makes it known that it is about our presence there.

Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, President Bush framed the narrative in the "us vs them" mentality and it has stuck ever since, here are his words:

"Al Qaeda is to terror what the Mafia is to crime. But its goal is not making money, its goal is remaking the world and imposing its radical beliefs on people everywhere. The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism…Why do they hate us? They hate what they see right here in this chamber: a democratically elected government…They hate our freedoms: our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other.”

Skyab23 wrote:
Peace wrote:
Definitely not common knowledge to the average person. Most think they are at war with us because we are free and prosperous and we're Christians. It has been framed as an Islam vs Christianity fight. When in all reality it's our continued meddling in the Persian Gulf that has exacerbated the issue. Every perpetrator who is affiliated with al-Qaeda makes it known that it is about our presence there.

Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, President Bush framed the narrative in the "us vs them" mentality and it has stuck ever since, here are his words:

"Al Qaeda is to terror what the Mafia is to crime. But its goal is not making money, its goal is remaking the world and imposing its radical beliefs on people everywhere. The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism…Why do they hate us? They hate what they see right here in this chamber: a democratically elected government…They hate our freedoms: our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other.”
Oh Bush lol. I remember watching that damn speech. I just always assumed as long as we were over there meddling or what have you of course sadly this stuff would happen. I mean I always thought of another country trying to come into America.. and how we would fucking hate it lol.

I honestly think more and more Americans are catching on. I really hope so.
Say Girl

Skyab23 wrote:
Peace wrote:

It's even worse than that, folks in the media here actually say "they hate us because they hate us"; Joe Scarborough comes to mind. It's as if people aren't even trying to frame it a certain way anymore, they just mindlessly make up reasons for why the US is attacked.

Though I must say it's a rather brilliant campaign put on by the Bush admin, the media, and even the Obama admin too. They've successfully misled so many US citizens for over a decade.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.