Sexism

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
lock please

chinn70 wrote:lock please
Why?

Cilogy and I respect eachother quite a lot and we're having a healthy discussion.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
chinn70 wrote:lock please
Why?

Cilogy and I respect eachother quite a lot and we're having a healthy discussion.

-Vader
both of you are fighting over one person (chee) ;)
that's why

RIFA wrote:Image
lol, exactly

start it !

Vader182 wrote:Number two: The argument that 'well they aren't even harming anyone!" is a really bad one. It has nothing to do with the rightness of his or her actions, and when you do post 'attention grabbing things', well, they do just that- invite attention. They invite people like Keegan to say shit. Literally.
Correct, it does invite people to say stuff like Keegan did. My main point was simply arguing against the context of Keegan's post. He was calling her out and connecting it to a completely different subject and a different post entirely. Bringing up chee's pictures just seemed unnecessary.

chee understands what effect pics of herself can have on people, and I think she probably won't bat an eye lash at anyone who calls her a whore (or whatever) directly for posting those pics, but it just doesn't makes sense for Keegan to connect it to something completely unrelated.

Look at the post again:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 60#p644150

chee literally posts like 2 or 3 words (which was probably 100% in jest) and Keegan refers to her supposed "whoreishness", I still don't entirely understand it, I still don't get the connection there.
Look, this is what I always said in high school. If I showed up in bright pink skin tight jeans, it might not be 'right' for people to kick my ass, but I'd certainly say it should be an assumed and expected event, so in that sense, I advocated that ass-kicking by doing something that's bound to rub some people the wrong way.
I think that's a rather convoluted way of looking at it because it assumes nothing can be done to stop the ass-kicking. It assumes the victim of the ass-kicking is partly to blame, which accomplishes nothing.
I'll come out and say it- it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people say inflammatory or 'loud' things, or 'do' super loud things, then say well nonono I'm totally not harming anybody! Well, fuck, you know? Use your head, and think of my above example.
Are you referring to this situation on the forum or to feminism and it's "shitloads of damage"?

Please give me some examples if it's the latter.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Why you lurking my page brah?

Cilogy wrote: Look at the post again:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 60#p644150

chee literally posts like 2 or 3 words (which was probably 100% in jest) and Keegan refers to her supposed "whoreishness", I still don't entirely understand it, I still don't get the connection there.
gib sigs

First off, let me say I'm way too lazy right now to quote each thing properly. Second off, I don't remember necessarily advocating what Keegan said, or how he said it. Keegan's a blunt soul, which he explained everything in his second post. Basically, he had an issue with her broader behavior, some of which you supposedly claim she totally doesn't care about (like being called a whore for posting naked images on the internet), and that was merely the latest run of things she was doing. See, unlike most users on the board that flirt or whatever, she doesn't show up often, but when she does, a huge number of her posts concern sex in some form or another, it sexualizes her general 'persona', and that persona itself begets invitations of attention and so forth. This is obvious stuff and surely you would not disagree. It's the same way Armand pretty much only posts fairly serious definitive statements with logic and vocabulary, and so forth. It creates a pretentious persona (one he's proud of) as a credible and informed member of the film community, or at least the one that exists on this website. How you post and behave in general basically is how 'you' are, i.e. actions are what define you batman face. Now, I'd be hesitant to speak directly for Chee stating she's accepting of comments including the usually inflammatory word 'whore'. But, enough of that, I think you can understand Keegan's point of view and what ultimately let to his colorful language (which also had his typical Keegan charm, even if more mean spirited than we're usually used to). I'm not sure it's a 'good' persona to have, since sexualizing yourself for attention- well, it's not a becoming persona according to most. I mean, one of my ex-girlfriends is a 'dancer' and we're still close and so on, so don't rush out and accuse me of harsh moral judgements.
I think that's a rather convoluted way of looking at it because it assumes nothing can be done to stop the ass-kicking. It assumes the victim of the ass-kicking is partly to blame, which accomplishes nothing.
Actually, it accomplishes everything, that's the whole point. If I walk into an impoverished neighborhood (a ghetto) decked out in obviously expensive clothing and I, shockingly, get robbed, well shit. It's 100% the mugger's fault! Fuck no, that's ridiculous. "Culpability" implies there were things you could do to avoid the reaction you didn't want. So, if I'm not paying attention to the road and somebody hits me that was at fault, well, I'm probably at least partially to blame since, had I been paying attention, I could have potentially taken maneuvers to avoid the accident, and thus relieving the situation of much cluterfuckedness. If you can do something to relieve or help the situation and you don't, by the nature of all rationality and language and logic, some of the percentage of the blame falls on you, objectively. So, this basically means if you're aware of this stuff, you can necessarily take measures to make your life easier, and the life of people around you, while pushing your own agenda in a deliberate and smart manner.
Are you referring to this situation on the forum or to feminism and it's "shitloads of damage"?

Please give me some examples if it's the latter.
Uhm, I thought I already did? And I meant the latter.

Basically, feminism, queer theory, whatever, put special emphasize on the specific singular characteristics of your identifier group. It's pretty difficult to assimilate when you're so busy emphasizing how much you're different and unique, it's ideologically self-defeating. And make no mistake, assimilating is what you want-- to be a functioning member of society where you're just 'somebody else' that has special 'differences' just like 'everybody' totally does. There's no potential for 'special' discrimination if you market yourself as one of a community, and go about that in a smart way. I mean, I'm a Catholic (woohoo, I just lost anyone still reading this!), and these days that's basically taboo in 'thinking' circles. But, I don't go about it in this jarring and attention grabbing way, I do my best to present my faith when it's thematically appropriate, and in as reasonable a way as possible that people can empathize with. Empathy is the key here, and how on earth can the 'status quo' empathize with you if you're 'so' different. Marxist philosophy changes/fixes all that. It's basically about how the disempowered need to gain status quality culturally, and so on. So, this is how feminism, and things like it, have done shit loads of damage. It is necessarily alienating to people, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen even liberal friends puke at even modest feminists, and I attend a university that 'celebrates cultural diversity." Yeah.

There's a lot more I can say on this, but I have to begin my Mad Men rewatch if I'm going to get to bed in the ballpark of a 'reasonable' time.

-Vader

[moved the comment]

AHAHAAHHA he called me a whore and then starts crying because I called him a sexist.

Love how he doesn't realize that the nudes were posted on tumblr and then brought over here by other people or posted into the chatroom by someone else.

Only pics I posted where it could be considered nude, I was in my underwear. Someone asked to see my tattoos so I posted the pic.

Not responding any further to crazy, my body isn't a debate table. Don't fucking call me a whore and not expect retaliation.