Obama Care

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Are you for or against Obama Care?

For
46%
Against
38%
No Opinion
15%

Total votes: 26

After the recent Supreme Court decision's ruling on the legality of Obama Care, what are your opinions on it?

I don't know what yes or no would mean in your clumsily asked poll question. I'm for Obamacare and on a side note its embarrassing that contraception is debated in this country. Saint Thomas Aquinas was a cretin. Republicans need to stop acting as if wealth distribution is perfect in this country and stop pretending that inheritance doesn't exist.
"When art imitates life"

It's a very complex and controversial issue that requires extensive research, deep thought/contemplation, and a strong understanding of the way healthcare in our country works. I believe in the American dream of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as outlined in the Constitution by Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was a strong supporter of a two party system, which guaranteed all citizens the right to affordable medical coverage provided by a republican government.

The financial burden brought about by this way of thinking must also be taken into consideration. But the upper echelon of American society has more expendable income, and can therefore alleviate some of this burden through various means of financial support for the lower levels of democratic society. This is one of the cornerstones of a democratic republic, as outlined by the founding fathers all those years ago.

In other words, Americans cannot possibly live a free life without adequate support from the financial institutions which can provide us with the means to support ourselves through free market capitalism. The government is chosen by the people through democratic means, and therefore, is responsible to uphold the well being of it's citizenry. Obama realizes this, and through a system of smart spending, useful government programs, and the general desire to promote the welfare of all citizens, Obamacare will change the way this country cares for health of it's constituency. And as a well educated, highly informed individual, I am all for this.
Last edited by steveportee on June 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inb4 everyone here is for it and the only person who isnt for it gets jumped.

If you're for Obama Care, which is a government mandate for health care and against the right of an individual's choice, then how can one be for abortion? It's called choice. You don't want government to tell a woman what to do with her body, but disregard that logic with regards to health care?

Skyab23 wrote:If you're for Obama Care, which is a government mandate for health care and against the right of an individual's choice, then how can one be for abortion? It's called choice. You don't want government to tell a woman what to do with her body, but disregard that logic with regards to health care?
There are things in the bill that I don't like, for example the mandate itself, but lots of other things benefit me and close friends and family. My hope is that the ACA can be amended instead of just repealed full on.

For example, the fact that I get to stay on my parents care until 26 while I'm still in college is great.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I know there are plenty of pro-choice people here from the Abortion debate forum. So, for those of you who support choice and do not want the government interfering with a woman's body and her right to choose...why do you throw away that logic when arguing about Obama Care? If I do not want to insure my body against sickness, then that is my choice and right to do so, correct?

The thing that really pisses me off about this is the whole tax thing. The mandate "is absolutely not a tax increase," Barry says.
Raising taxes on the middle class is "the last thing we need in an economy like this. Folks are already having a tough enough time," he says. No shit.

Unfortunately, behind all the lies and bullshit, Barry's plan amounts to a $1.8 trillion slap in the face for working families. And that's just for starters. Here are some of the OTHER (but wait, there's more!) taxes hidden in the ACA, most of which affect people making under $250,000 a year (remember that oft-broken promise?):

*note: some of these have already gone into effect

-A 2.3% excise tax on U.S. sales of medical devices that's already devastating the medical supply industry and its workforce. The levy is a $20 billion blow to an industry that employs roughly 400,000. This has already led to thousands of layoffs, billions of lost revenue, and jobs being sent overseas (Ireland, China). Well done, Barry!

-A 3.8% surtax on investment income from capital gains and dividends that applies to single filers earning more than $200,000 and married couples filing jointly earning more than $250,000. Note to investors: once you hit that $200,000 mark... DO NOT EARN ANYMORE MONEY! Our economy clearly doesn't need it anyway. Obama is focused like a laser, remember?

-A $50,000 excise tax on charitable hospitals that fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance" and other rules set by the Health and Human Services Dept.

-A $24 billion tax on the paper industry to control a pollutant known as black liquor.

-A $2.3 billion-a-year tax on drug companies. Don't worry, these costs won't be passed on to you. ;)

-A 10% excise tax on indoor tanning salons. AKA "Honky Tax". Take that, Whitey!

-An $87 billion hike in Medicare payroll taxes for employees, as well as the self-employed. Ah, the amazing shrinking paycheck. Of course, with the tens of trillions of unfunded SS liabilities, that will be going back up again soon. As the Dems say, "you wouldn't push grandma off a cliff, would you?"

-A hike in the threshold for writing off medical expenses to 10% of adjusted gross income from 7.5%. Wait, I thought this was the Affordable Care Act. Oh well, looks like shit will me costing more for millions.

-A new cap on flexible spending accounts of $2,500 a year.

-Elimination of the tax deduction for employer-provided prescription drug coverage for Medicare recipients. Affordable! Wait...

-An income surtax of 1% of adjusted gross income, rising to 2.5% by 2016, on individuals who refuse to go along with ObamaCare by buying a policy not OK'd by the government. "But I have insurance!" "Too bad, citizen. We deem your insurance unworthy. Pay the fine anyway! Hahahahaha!"

-A $2,000 tax charged to employers with 50 or more workers for every full-time worker not offered health coverage. Hey small businesses, fuck you!

-A $60 billion tax on health insurers. Any chance this will cause health insurance costs to rise? Nah... ;)

-A 40% excise tax on so-called Cadillac, or higher cost, health insurance plans. What, you already pay more for better health insurance? Too bad, pay 40% more! Does it apply to the government fux with the best health insurance in the world? OF COURSE NOT! Then again, that's probably a good thing, considering taxpayers pay for the government's health insurance anyway.

Yep definitely not a tax! :lol: :facepalm:

Based4Life wrote:The thing that really pisses me off about this is the whole tax thing. The mandate "is absolutely not a tax increase," Barry says.
Raising taxes on the middle class is "the last thing we need in an economy like this. Folks are already having a tough enough time," he says. No shit.

Unfortunately, behind all the lies and bullshit, Barry's plan amounts to a $1.8 trillion slap in the face for working families. And that's just for starters. Here are some of the OTHER (but wait, there's more!) taxes hidden in the ACA, most of which affect people making under $250,000 a year (remember that oft-broken promise?):

*note: some of these have already gone into effect

-A 2.3% excise tax on U.S. sales of medical devices that's already devastating the medical supply industry and its workforce. The levy is a $20 billion blow to an industry that employs roughly 400,000. This has already led to thousands of layoffs, billions of lost revenue, and jobs being sent overseas (Ireland, China). Well done, Barry!

-A 3.8% surtax on investment income from capital gains and dividends that applies to single filers earning more than $200,000 and married couples filing jointly earning more than $250,000. Note to investors: once you hit that $200,000 mark... DO NOT EARN ANYMORE MONEY! Our economy clearly doesn't need it anyway. Obama is focused like a laser, remember?

-A $50,000 excise tax on charitable hospitals that fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance" and other rules set by the Health and Human Services Dept.

-A $24 billion tax on the paper industry to control a pollutant known as black liquor.

-A $2.3 billion-a-year tax on drug companies. Don't worry, these costs won't be passed on to you. ;)

-A 10% excise tax on indoor tanning salons. AKA "Honky Tax". Take that, Whitey!

-An $87 billion hike in Medicare payroll taxes for employees, as well as the self-employed. Ah, the amazing shrinking paycheck. Of course, with the tens of trillions of unfunded SS liabilities, that will be going back up again soon. As the Dems say, "you wouldn't push grandma off a cliff, would you?"

-A hike in the threshold for writing off medical expenses to 10% of adjusted gross income from 7.5%. Wait, I thought this was the Affordable Care Act. Oh well, looks like shit will me costing more for millions.

-A new cap on flexible spending accounts of $2,500 a year.

-Elimination of the tax deduction for employer-provided prescription drug coverage for Medicare recipients. Affordable! Wait...

-An income surtax of 1% of adjusted gross income, rising to 2.5% by 2016, on individuals who refuse to go along with ObamaCare by buying a policy not OK'd by the government. "But I have insurance!" "Too bad, citizen. We deem your insurance unworthy. Pay the fine anyway! Hahahahaha!"

-A $2,000 tax charged to employers with 50 or more workers for every full-time worker not offered health coverage. Hey small businesses, fuck you!

-A $60 billion tax on health insurers. Any chance this will cause health insurance costs to rise? Nah... ;)

-A 40% excise tax on so-called Cadillac, or higher cost, health insurance plans. What, you already pay more for better health insurance? Too bad, pay 40% more! Does it apply to the government fux with the best health insurance in the world? OF COURSE NOT! Then again, that's probably a good thing, considering taxpayers pay for the government's health insurance anyway.

Yep definitely not a tax! :lol: :facepalm:
Copy and paste is a wonderful thing.

Are you for or against Obama Care and your options are yes and no. :facepalm: