True Detective (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Literally lol at these comments

Really liked the first ep. Clear focus and hook. Ali is great.

Enjoying Ali, as well as the sort of slow burn.

Also a possible Nolanesque unreliable narrator? Idk seems like it.

Cilogy wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:28 pm

pizzolatto said everything presented as reality is real and anything else will be obvious

im getting big nolan vibes too

the way he's giving us information before/ahead of events so we're always behind/in front of the main characters reminds me of dunkirk in its design, and its themes of time/memory give me big memento vibes

-Vader

Only got around to the first ep but like most was rather impressed. Ali looks to be excellent.

dude that makeup on Ali tho duuuuuude

Really enjoyed these two episodes. I am an admirer of the first season, and the second was a real letdown for me with all its forced complexities and contrivances and it just fell flat. I sat in front of the TV with the lowest expectations possible - I was trying to empty my mind, not to expect anything. I didn't want it to be the same as the first season, I didn't want the creators to try to "mime" the first one. And I have to say, it didn't feel like a copy of the McConaughey story-line at all.

It's a very simple premise, and I particularly like the framing:
The making of a Netflix-style true crime documentary. I love that it reacts to this modern trend - even hoping that the series will have a few jabs at Netflix!
So I like its simplicity and the revelation at the end of the second episode, that the narrator could be very, very unreliable. Looking forward to this season!

Vader182 wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Cilogy wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:28 pm

pizzolatto said everything presented as reality is real and anything else will be obvious

im getting big nolan vibes too

the way he's giving us information before/ahead of events so we're always behind/in front of the main characters reminds me of dunkirk in its design, and its themes of time/memory give me big memento vibes

-Vader
Havent started this yet but, for the record, I dont get why you guys are saying this like S1 wasnt already kind of into Nolany kinks with multiple narrative timelines and narrators (half partners half rivals) whether unreliable or merely subjective. I guess this could be more of that but still

nolan doesn't have ownership of some of those devices and the dominant flavor of s1 is of course southern gothic noir meets lovecraft that's really different from nolan

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm
nolan doesn't have ownership of some of those devices and the dominant flavor of s1 is of course southern gothic noir meets lovecraft that's really different from nolan

-Vader
Nolan doesnt have ownership over many things that movies left and right now use because he used them well