Asian movies - official thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Disagree but yeah Grave is another option. Who knows... maybe the fact that there's also a war story in it might make it even more relatable. Tho I always considered it to be too western in a way... so I'm not sure if it's that much of a good intro in the anime genre. I mean I'm not sure Vader looks for westernized anime.

Well if it eases them into anime easier, then I don't see that as too much of a problem (though Vader says he wants the essence of anime or whatever). I can't agree with you when you say it's too Westernised. It's sense of tragedy and its place in history is more relatable than usual anime stuff but its hardly too Westernised. I mean, kids in war makes sense for anybody. Still, I can't think of many directors who have made work which is thematically/emotionally universal than Takahata and still was quintessentially Japanese in the scenes he portrays. Despite his widely varying art styles (and tones), he doesn't chase a stylised portrayal of Japanese life, rather a grounded view of it. That seems apparent in his work.

You guys have given me much to think about.

Fireflies is an absolute no go. It's one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen, and kind of the opposite of the kind of movie I'd want to show without extreme warning. When I'm this conflicted, I usually rewatch all the movies I'm considering showing with them specifically in mind.

I'll do Akira, Ghost, and Mononoke. I actually think Spirited Away is wildly accessible, but I don't like it a lot. Howl's maybe? I don't know.

I feel like Paprika is super anime-y, super asian-y, super weird, but has the "in" of having the same "rough" plot as Inception. Millenium Actress openly plays with tons of established genres too, and shows the "potential" of animation as a viable artistic medium that captures specific things live action cannot. Much to think on.

-Vader

Yeah, I'm not recommending GotF straight of the bat despite its relative accessibility. Akira and Mononoke are fair choices, though Spirited Away is the best way into (specifically) ghibli in my opinion. I think Kon is a bit too wacky for first timers (if they are).

You guys just made me want to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Cop 223 wrote:Yeah, I'm not recommending GotF straight of the bat despite its relative accessibility. Akira and Mononoke are fair choices, though Spirited Away is the best way into (specifically) ghibli in my opinion. I think Kon is a bit too wacky for first timers (if they are).
Yeah, but I think it's almost better sometimes for something to be treated as it's own thing then for something that seems familiar but different. It gives them no frame of reference, so they can take something more on its own terms. Does that make sense?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I actually think Spirited Away is wildly accessible, but I don't like it a lot.
If you want to introduce people to a genre... don't really think of what you like or not. Think of what's widely accepted and what can click faster.

Spirited Away clicks so fast with western audiences that a lot of people fail to get impressed by any other anime after they've seen it.

I introduced two friends of mine to anime and I used Spirited Away. One of them considered Lion King the best animation ever and the other rooted for The Iron Giant and Wall-E. What happened is that both now consider Spirited Away to be the best animation they have ever seen. Yet every other anime they saw disappointed them because it was not on SA's level. The effect it has on people from all the animes I think is unmatched.

this post...
It was a dark, dreary night. The September rain lightly tapping on the roof of my car like an ominous tick, a warning of what was to come. I sat quietly, listening for the answer to the question I didn't even ask. Where do I start? Little hope exists in these streets. It wasn't the pale moon that excited me, no. It was the eyes of the devil, the sanctity that once existed that had been sucked right out of my soul. It drove me towards the end I never saw coming.
one of the many sequence-posts that fit this song.

Planning to watch The Man From Nowhere sooner or later.