The Counselor (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Law wrote:Just saw this, easily one of the most beautifully filmed movies of the year. The performances were great and though the script was trying to be clever I really enjoyed the interactions with the characters. What more can I say? Idk what you guys are talking about when you say it's one of the worst of year. I love Ridley so of course I'm going to love this film. 10/10
-Jax_Teller
you got me dickhead

17 Days to go, who knows, maybe the ratings bump a percent or two.

m4st4 wrote:17 Days to go
Same. I know predetermination is a bad thing, but I've already lost faith in this.

Cilogy wrote:
You a terrible representation of a human being and I hope you die sad and lonely.
Oh, come on now, dude. Don't you like to follow the scoring system of websites like RT? - Let's forget about RT for few minutes... this forums is in fact entertaining as I get to read comments that some are in fact useful and some not so quite bright, which in this case reminds us all of the reaction you have so, perhaps, passionately prepared in words towards me.

To get civil in nature when it comes to express opinions in regards to any subject that itself obligates some to get out of shape, while in reality, all we do is share at the end nothing, but opinions. In general, opinions must be respected even though none agrees with it. As I pointed out few essential views of mine towards this very film, in its nature, I am not in any way forcing anyone to follow the rules I follow in order to understand this or any film. But, if it has some pressure on one, his/her mind, then as a member I have succeeded already. :D

Rohan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
You a terrible representation of a human being and I hope you die sad and lonely.
Oh, come on now, dude. Don't you like to follow the scoring system of websites like RT? - Let's forget about RT for few minutes... this forums is in fact entertaining as I get to read comments that some are in fact useful and some not so quite bright, which in this case reminds us all of the reaction you have so, perhaps, passionately prepared in words towards me.

To get civil in nature when it comes to express opinions in regards to any subject that itself obligates some to get out of shape, while in reality, all we do is share at the end nothing, but opinions. In general, opinions must be respected even though none agrees with it. As I pointed out few essential views of mine towards this very film, in its nature, I am not in any way forcing anyone to follow the rules I follow in order to understand this or any film. But, if it has some pressure on one, his/her mind, then as a member I have succeeded already. :D
None of this post made sense to me.

Of course, Cylogy. :) I think my words in a way are putting a pressure on you. In other words, my friend, perhaps they are educating you. Therefore, it is safe to believe that you are either on purpose being ignorant or you are just taking the route of what we all call is stupidity. I prefer not believe any of it as I expect from you to challenge me in a more civil manner.

I enjoy reading comments, therefore I spend some of my time here as it takes my mind away from other stuff. Cylogy, I think you should form a blog.

See, I enjoy reading Vader's reviews. I like his website. The dude is putting his time and knowledge on all his reviews, and I respect all of them even though I don't agree with some of his reviews. Same goes to other members who post their honest reviews.

Rohan wrote:Of course, Cylogy. :) I think my words in a way are putting a pressure on you. In other words, my friend, perhaps they are educating you. Therefore, it is safe to believe that you are either on purpose being ignorant or you are just taking the route of what we all call is stupidity. I prefer not believe any of it as I expect from you to challenge me in a more civil manner.

I enjoy reading comments, therefore I spend some of my time here as it takes my mind away from other stuff. Cylogy, I think you should form a blog.

See, I enjoy reading Vader's reviews. I like his website. The dude is putting his time and knowledge on all his reviews, and I respect all of them even though I don't agree with some of his reviews. Same goes to other members who post their honest reviews.

Cilogy wrote:
Rohan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:

None of this post made sense to me.
I reported all y'all 3 recent posts because lately this kind of behavior just makes me sick. Not only you insult people now over their statements, but you even go as far as to fill pages full of bullshit bringing absolutely no positive feedback or solid contribution to any discussion. Just keep it this way.

RIFA wrote:
Cilogy wrote:None of this post made sense to me.
I reported all y'all 3 recent posts because lately this kind of behavior just makes me sick. Not only you insult people now over their statements, but you even go as far as to fill pages full of bullshit bringing absolutely no positive feedback or solid contribution to any discussion. Just keep it this way.
How noble of you.

Others are babbling on about the supposed masterpiece this film is, and you say I'm the one filling pages full of bullshit? Fascinating logic.

If any of you are interested in a passionate defense of the film by a notoriously tough professional critic, Mike D'Angelo offers up his perspective at his letterbox account: http://letterboxd.com/gemko/film/the-counselor/

He gave it a 75/100 and put in on his top 10 of the year list. In comparison, he gave No Country for Old Men a 77/100.

Some excerpts:
...its pitiless anti-narrative played for me like a pure, uncut version of No Country, one without the hand-wringing old men. Was only bothered by the philosophizing at first, when I (naturally) assumed it would be occasional and intrusive; once it completely took over the movie, with the entire supporting cast turning unapologetically logorrheic, rolling with it wasn't hard.

"But what's the point?!" Just a portrait of hubris, really. This'll sound kinda bizarre, but The Counselor is essentially the same story as Jurassic Park (more the novel than the film): Various smart people foolishly imagine they can control the uncontrollable, but something utterly unforeseen occurs and all hell breaks loose, which inevitability is explained in detail via pompous monologues spoken by characters who despite their superior understanding are in the same world of shit as everyone else. McCarthy just takes it to its natural conclusion. And since I'm the kind of person who'd rather wonder why someone's measuring the height of a motorcycle than watch rampaging CGI dinosaurs, this movie is "fun" to me, in its grim, fatalistic way.

Also, I keep seeing people refer to the story as overly complicated and impossible to follow. No. It's simply irrelevant. As in All Is Lost—a title that would work just fine here as well—everything that isn't absolutely essential has been tossed overboard, including most niceties of characterization. It doesn't really matter who the Counselor is, and it certainly doesn't matter why he's in a bind or how the deal works. Everyone in the movie is a corpse before it even begins. (Hence the opening scene of bodies completely hidden underneath sheets—McCarthy actually wrote the entire scene this way, even noting that the dialogue should be subtitled as their voices would be muffled. Speaking of hubris.) We get only such information as we need to comprehend that what befalls them is to some degree just bad luck.