Best David Fincher Film (Poll)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

What is David Fincher's Best Film?

Alien 3
1%
Se7en
21%
The Game
1%
Fight Club
28%
Panic Room
No votes
Zodiac
19%
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2%
The Social Network
22%
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
5%

Total votes: 137

RIFA wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote: Nope wrong.
:facepalm: That's it. I'm done arguing since you clearly haven't proved in any way how I would be wrong.
SantomTheWhite wrote:Jesus Christ, RIFA give it up, just let him have his opinion. If he enjoys this next Larsson film enough to where he thinks it's a masterpiece...is IS to HIM. It's a reflection of HIM.

you might as well be arguing with someone for thinking Olive Garden spaghetti tastes great.
I don't care about his opinion (to each his own) but I do care about ignorant and stupid statements.
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Sorry I'm not going to waste my time reading a five paragraph essay when he's wrong anyway.
How would you know when you didn't read it? :lol: :facepalm:

Having taken three film courses over the years, one of them fairly in-depth, read many books on film, and through my general exposure to it, your usage and understanding of the word masterpiece is clearly flawed. It's been used the way I used it prior in each and every one of those previous things I mentioned, with no contradiction amongst them. Same goes for reading a lot about music theory/art-theory, etc. Masterpiece always used the same way.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an adaptation of a novel. Countless people consider many adaptations to be masterpieces, masterworks of the directors they were helmed by, as well as cinema as a whole. Your criteria makes no sense.

It mostly sounds like you just 'decided' a bunch of things and are now arguing with us about it. I wonder whose right though.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote: It's common knowledge. Look it up.
Don't make me use the relativism thing on you here :lol:

Common knowledge? Your whole attitude has nothing to do with common knowledge yet you think that your opinion is part of a common knowledge. Hypocrisy much?
Vader182 wrote:Having taken three film courses over the years, one of them fairly in-depth, read many books on film, and through my general exposure to it, your usage and understanding of the word masterpiece is clearly flawed. It's been used the way I used it prior in each and every one of those previous things I mentioned, with no contradiction amongst them. Same goes for reading a lot about music theory/art-theory, etc. Masterpiece always used the same way.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an adaptation of a novel. Countless people consider many adaptations to be masterpieces, masterworks of the directors they were helmed by, as well as cinema as a whole. Your criteria makes no sense.

It mostly sounds like you just 'decided' a bunch of things and are now arguing with us about it. I wonder whose right though.
I also read many books on film, read a lot of articles about them, do a lot of research, study journalism, write reviews in my native language and actually know real solid critics... I'm not gonna repeat myself because I don't have to. It's one thing to consider a movie a masterpiece within your mind and another to actually state a movie is or could be classified as being a masterpiece. Masterpieces are given by the general audience not by individual likes. I'm not saying that you couldn't consider Gigli a masterpiece. Go ahead do it. I don't care. But to use common knowledge I will always say that Gigli isn't a masterpiece because it doesn't have any of the elements a masterpiece should have. There is a general criteria. If you didn't knew that then all the school you had and all the books you've read helped you with nothing.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an adaptation of a novel. Yes. But there's already a solid adaptation of that novel you're talking about. Fincher's version could be another solid adaptation but never a masterpiece since it couldn't have all the elements I'm talking about.

And no, I didn't decided on a bunch of things... I simply used common sense and knowledge. You seem to have a problem understanding the notion of Masterpiece and personal viewing of a masterpiece.

What you're trying to say is that if I think a movie needs special effects and a naked woman to be a masterpiece then I'm right since I'm entitled to my own viewing on what masterpiece stands for which is completely absurd and dumb. Get that in your head. Masterpiece is a word most people use frequently but don't even know what the hack they're talking about. Seems the same thing happens here. To classify something as a masterpiece isn't that simple.

And giving short answers back like IWatchFilmsNotMovies does isn't far from what trolling means.

RIFA wrote:
Don't make me use the relativism thing on you here :lol:

Common knowledge? Your whole attitude has nothing to do with common knowledge yet you think that your opinion is part of a common knowledge. Hypocrisy much?
I'm just messing around with you. You can think whatever you want but i do disagree. :lol:

Fight Club - 9.8/10
The Social Network - 9.3/10
Se7en - 9.3/10
Zodiac - 8.7/10
Panic Room - 7.7/10

Fight Club.

Fight Club / The Social Network

None is the villain. You are me.
Last edited by Cop 223 on January 24th, 2015, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jibran wrote:Fincher is a pretty great director, even if he's made a few films I didn't really enjoy, including Benjamin Button.
Fight Club would personally be top for me. Though I have to say that The Social Network was great and very surprising.
Agreed, TSN was amazingly well done! *jibran, what's with that avatar pic of yours? Any help? :modesty:

TSN. Fight Club is also great, but I got addicted to TSN after the last Oscar ceremony and watched it for 7 or 8 times in a few months.

The Social Network, easily. As much as I love Fight Club, I can't help but feel I've outgrown it. I've said this here before, but it's overly juvenile, and the intended demographic is obviously high school and college kids. I realize it's a film about itself, and it's a manifestation of what the film's about not doing, and it's that way for thematic purposes, but it's overly crass/violent to get themes The Social Network covered more complexly and more compellingly, and Fight Club has far less three dimensional characters.

-Vader