Foxcatcher (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dream-Xtractor wrote:With Bennett's success with his actors I'm looking forward to seeing what Carell has in store for us. And Tatum as well.

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Glad we finally have a release date; certainly intrigued by this.
That's why Jeff Sneider said that SPC wouldn't destine all their movie for campaigning Blue Jasmine, I guess.
I give to Kris Tapley props for saying in advance the studio shift. And yay for Foxcatcher getting a release date, finally. I was starting to worry about the movie being not so good and receiving a Spring release (which is normally the graveyard for failed prestige stuff).
With Bennett's success with his actors I'm looking forward to seeing what Carell has in store for us. And Tatum as well.
Oh yes. (And haters gonna hate)

Allstar wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:With Bennett's success with his actors I'm looking forward to seeing what Carell has in store for us. And Tatum as well.
He's going to make you eat crow. :D

^From the same article
Yes, we swear, that’s really Steve Carell. The star dons a prosthetic nose — and an uncharacteristically gloomy demeanor — in this exclusive image from his new movie Foxcatcher (out Dec. 20). In director Bennett Miller’s follow-up to Moneyball, Carell stars as John DuPont, the real-life chemical heir who befriended Olympic wrestler brothers Mark (Channing Tatum) and David Schultz (Mark Ruffalo) before murdering David in 1996.

If you didn’t recognize Carell at first sight, you’re not alone. “We just had our first test [screening], and not everybody recognized Steve. He is aged [for the film], and his face is changed, and his physicality changed,” says Miller, who explains that the unlikely casting of Carell as a killer is an important part of making the character feel authentic. “If I say I’m going to make a movie about a guy who’s a schizophrenic murderer, there are probably a dozen actors who would immediately appear on anybody’s casting list. And Steve would not be on any of those lists. And that’s a good thing. Because it’s unexpected… John DuPont was a character who nobody thought was capable of doing something as horrible as he did. And I did not want to cast somebody who would feel dangerous in that way.”

According to Miller, there’s also much more to Carell than his funny-guy roles in The Office and Anchorman might suggest. “I had met Steve before, and there was something about him that really interested me. There’s something guarded and a real intelligence going on behind his eyes,” says Miller. “I love performances like Jerry Lewis in The King of Comedy, and Peter Sellers in everything, and working with Jonah [Hill] in Moneyball. Comedians are dark, but I think we tend to think of them along the lines of what they project. I just think there’s a hell of a lot more to Steve than he tends to show.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/20/s ... tt-miller/

I guess a trailer is coming soon.

The above article and that picture blow my mind. This is firmly on my radar.

To compare how Carell and duPont looks like, here's a photo of the real John duPont:

And here is a comparison between the Schultz in the movie and in real life:

Not spot-on, but not too far off either.

Tapley says Carell might go supporting. :think:

Dream-Xtractor wrote:Tapley says Carell might go supporting. :think:
I asked for the script, but, apparently Carell is NOT the lead. The real focus is on Tatum's character (and hence the real lead of the movie) and how he sees all the stuff that happened when he was at the Team Foxcatcher, culminating in (do we need spoiler tags for this? lol)
the murder of his brother (Ruffalo) in the hands of duPont (Carell)
Carell is more of a co-lead while Ruffalo is supporting