Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:It's the best blockbuster of summer so far, and the first I'm genuinely eager to see a second time.

-Vader
I am stunned at how terrific this was. And equally bummed that it's supposedly going to flop.

In the Tom Cruise filmography it's a dark horse. It could be one of his best films.

Blehhh... I'm not that interested in it. I'll wait for the Blu-ray.

Nomis1700 wrote:I'm surprised by the good reviews. I thought this was going to be another Cruise-actioner. Besides, I really like Blunt…. So I might see this in theater :P
Same here, even more intrigued to see the film now.

davids wrote:In the Tom Cruise filmography it's a dark horse. It could be one of his best films.
What does that even mean for a filmography that is kicking ass for three decades now? :problem:

m4st4 wrote:
davids wrote:In the Tom Cruise filmography it's a dark horse. It could be one of his best films.
What does that even mean for a filmography that is kicking ass for three decades now? :problem:
Not every film was as good as the next. But yeah, he does have a great career.

Edge of Tomorrow
The trailers do the film a disservice, and not just because we barely see anything in them beyond the first half hour—The Edge of Tomorrow is decisively not The Twilight Zone meets Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day. It’s very much its own animal, and one that’s relentlessly ambitious. It’s a genre busting opus, one part alien invasion, one part mecha fantasy, and one part time travel. Liman and his multiple screenwriters (Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth) refuse to settle, and the result is a visual sprawl that extends every bit as far as the complex story.

The premise is perpetually expanding. Once you fall into a particular rhythm or routine, the film breaks the pattern, and by the time you get used to the new one, it does it again. Cage’s goals are in a constant state of reinvention. The film evolves past you, and it finds increasingly daring ways to upend audience expectations. One of them is humor, and it’s so well placed it’s as though the filmmakers have a pulse for when we might get bored. More than anything, Liman understands pacing. He knows when to have an explosive action beat, when to skip time, and when let it linger. The result is a film that’s ceaseless in its movement and daring in its momentum. By the time the first act curtain hits, you’ll realize your palms tightened on the cinema seat, your heart was beating, and your breath was stolen away. There’s a word that defines The Edge of Tomorrow, and that word is exhilarating.

The philosophical possibilities of the premise are only flirted with, but this is a blockbuster that really works.

A-

Full review- http://themetaplex.com/reviews/2014/edg ... vie-review

-Vader

Sounds great, planning on checking this out.

Wednesday for me..got screening passes.

6/10 for me