Theatrical plays and musicals - official thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
THEATRICAL PLAYS AND MUSICALS - OFFICIAL THREAD, share your latest theatrical experience & enjoy! ;)

The Glembays - Director Vito Taufer (Premiere May 6, 2011)

The Glembays, one of the most famous and most often staged plays of the great of Croatian modern literature,
Miroslav Krleža, is a drama about the rise and fall of a respected family of bankers in which, during a bank anniversary, an irrepressible series of events begins and irrevocably changes many members of the family. The Glembays is Krleža’s paradigmatic work in which this great writer pitilessly settles his scores with the false glory, richness and all the illusions brought by the money and rise in the society. Krleža’s integral text is powerfully interpreted on an almost empty stage. Vito Taufer’s intelligent direction and excellent acting evoked enormous interest, both of the critics and the audience.

Basically, The Sopranos before The Sopranos. :)

AWARDS: The Mila Dimitrijević Award was granted to Milan Pleština for the role of Leone in the season 2010/2011.

*Slovenian adaptation was premiered last week with standing ovations, I'll hopefully catch it soon!
Last edited by m4st4 on May 8th, 2015, 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry, it's in Croatian, but at least you can get the sense of some actors and costumes, which are quite tasteful.

Great thread. :twothumbsup:

I saw The 39 Steps play and loved it.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Great thread. :twothumbsup:
Thanks!
SilverHeart wrote:I saw The 39 Steps play and loved it.
Also directed by Alfred Hitchcock? Sounds interesting.

I've only downloaded some of the musical plays like Les Miserables, Love Never Dies and Phantom of Opera. Sorry I had no choice because they won't have any performance in my country.

I also sometimes listen to great tracks from famous plays like Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats or Sweeney Todd.

Master Virgo wrote:I've only downloaded some of the musical plays like Les Miserables, Love Never Dies and Phantom of Opera. Sorry I had no choice because they won't have any performance in my country.

I also sometimes listen to great tracks from famous plays like Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats or Sweeney Todd.
Same here. Since I'm limited in my own country sometimes I just have to download some musicals, recently Phantom of the Opera (thanks to Based4Life).

Sweeney Todd is one of my favorites, I can't imagine how good it would look on a live stage.

m4st4 wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Great thread. :twothumbsup:
Thanks!
SilverHeart wrote:I saw The 39 Steps play and loved it.
Also directed by Alfred Hitchcock? Sounds interesting.
An adaptation of it, yes.

I rarely go to plays, went more as a kid. My favorite musical at the time was Phantom of the Opera out of the ones I saw (I saw Cats, Starlight Express, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and others along those lines..)

Theatrical plays I barely remember. I do recall I really enjoyed Telstar, and I only went to that one cos the director Nick Moran is friends with Tim Roth who was also there and knew me a little.

I love operas and ballets though, go to at least once a year (which is a lot considering my lack of plays). Saw an extraordinary production of the opera Aida in the middle of the Israeli Negev desert (proper desert) last year, going to see Carmen (my second fave opera generally. Yes I like classical music) this year at the same place :D

But my all time most enjoyable stage show was easily Blue Man Group :D Been to a few 'Cirque de Soleil' style shows, some here, some in Las Vegas. They were all pretty good.. but BMG were extraordinary (saw them once in Vegas and once here, they came to Israel with a different show).