American Hustle (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Rohan wrote:It didn't work for me. Casting De Niro should have been, in my opinion, eschewed as we've already seen the actor playing mobsters. Though, this doesn't mean De Niro is not capable of carrying such role; by all mean, he can. Any role and I don't even have to say it. Russell cares quite less when it comes to the plot here, paying close attention what's in front of the camera, yet fails here to give the setting itself a personality. The world in which his characters are breathing feels less real, as if he's in the process of building everything with sand, empty from inside, and feeble, as it is, from its foundation.
It's an old classic, but...

I respect your opinion.

Rohan wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Rohan wrote:It didn't work for me. Casting De Niro should have been, in my opinion, eschewed as we've already seen the actor playing mobsters. Though, this doesn't mean De Niro is not capable of carrying such role; by all mean, he can. Any role and I don't even have to say it. Russell cares quite less when it comes to the plot here, paying close attention what's in front of the camera, yet fails here to give the setting itself a personality. The world in which his characters are breathing feels less real, as if he's in the process of building everything with sand, empty from inside, and feeble, as it is, from its foundation.
It's an old classic, but...

I respect your opinion.
Hes not smart enough to actually respond to your elaborate analysis of specific areas of the film that promote a focused discussion. As if tearing down his previous post piece by piece wasn't enough.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Rohan wrote:That uncredited cameo of De Niro, in my opinion, is one of the feeble parts of the script. Besides all the mess, it was "the" face-palm moment. This is not to say it is De Niro's fault; we're hear questioning the audacity of Russell as a director whom unfortunately is not going anywhere with the concept.
The DeNiro cameo was far and away the best part in the film.
I agree. And by the way, I thought De Niro offered himself for this cameos in movies with Bradley Cooper in it. I heard it a long time ago... they are friends, De Niro is his artistic godfather or something like that.

Octaviana wrote:
I agree. And by the way, I thought De Niro offered himself for this cameos in movies with Bradley Cooper in it. I heard it a long time ago... they are friends, De Niro is his artistic godfather or something like that.
Both of them are very good friends now. After Limitless they have kind of a bromance going on. The passing of Cooper's father kind of brought on a surrogate father role for Bobby D in Bradley's life. :ugeek:

It's not just that, in both SLP and Hustle Cooper tries to channel De Niro. In SLP it's obvious, he's his father after all, but in Hustle we still got the same thing. In both movies he's very delicate, broken, vulnerable and anxious. In Hustle he's also easily offended and agressive. He even adopted De Niro's 'tick' of repeating short sentences over and over, he talks fast when nervous, used De Niro's iconic 'cmaaaanwhazdabigdeaaaal' face maybe twice

and so on

he's practically spoofing him and I think De Niro knows that

prince0gotham wrote:It's not just that, in both SLP and Hustle Cooper tries to channel De Niro. In SLP it's obvious, he's his father after all, but in Hustle we still got the same thing. In both movies he's very delicate, broken, vulnerable and anxious. In Hustle he's also easily offended and agressive. He even adopted De Niro's 'tick' of repeating short sentences over and over, he talks fast when nervous, used De Niro's iconic 'cmaaaanwhazdabigdeaaaal' face maybe twice

and so on

nice try, but no

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Does this film really warrant this level of analysis?

prince0gotham wrote:It's not just that, in both SLP and Hustle Cooper tries to channel De Niro. In SLP it's obvious, he's his father after all, but in Hustle we still got the same thing. In both movies he's very delicate, broken, vulnerable and anxious. In Hustle he's also easily offended and agressive. He even adopted De Niro's 'tick' of repeating short sentences over and over, he talks fast when nervous, used De Niro's iconic 'cmaaaanwhazdabigdeaaaal' face maybe twice

and so on

yeah but that oscar nom doe ;) :P

Dodd wrote:

and so on

yeah but that oscar nom doe ;) :P
what about it

and so on

This never occurred to me but I see it. How different Cooper plays his character scene to scene sorta subverts that a little bit though.

-Vader