Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
tarkovsky was a genius with sound, the audio alone made some of the most unsettling of sequences

tarkovsky, bresson and bergman were all advocates in absence of music

elemunt wrote:tarkovsky was a genius with sound, the audio alone made some of the most unsettling of sequences

tarkovsky, bresson and bergman were all advocates in absence of music
Rare among Americans. Save... Lumet? And maybe Frankenheimer? I think a few of those 50s TV guys went down that path.

There's something unburnished and brutal about the sound quality outside Hollywood though, maybe the lesser technology works as an advantage.

No Country used absence of music brilliantly, that's probably the most recent major American thing that's done that. Not that the Coens do that in general

nolans most potent sequences for me are the ones without music, the wormhole scene in interstellar uses lots of quirky sound design like rattling chains and swelling metal. the chase sequence in dark knight also uses silence in great pacing. i have no doubt nolan has influence on this but i gotta give a lot of credit to lee smith. one would think they take notes from the classic greats.
edit: i just noticed in that clip they used a really odd transition at 2:23, it works fantastically, but you don't see things like that often.

elemunt wrote:nolans most potent sequences for me are the ones without music, the wormhole scene in interstellar uses lots of quirky sound design like rattling chains and swelling metal. the chase sequence in dark knight also uses silence in great pacing. i have no doubt nolan has influence on this but i gotta give a lot of credit to lee smith. one would think they take notes from the classic greats.
edit: i just noticed in that clip they used a really odd transition at 2:23, it works fantastically, but you don't see things like that often.
That's my favorite edit in the whole film. Well, that and when they replay it when Coop is leaving the tesseract near the end of the film.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
I loved that transition, it felt like a real roller coaster in the IMAX theater. Also, it's like Amelia is being yanked out of a dream state. The shot that comes back to her solidifies that, so when you see her reaction you're left feeling almost exactly the way she is, thinking "holy shit what just happened?!"

The black hole entrance scene is similar.

Just fantastic editing.

This is cool.
So I was bored and decided to take the top movie lists from IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic and averaged each movies scores to get one ultimate list of the best movies of all time. I tried my best to keep out movies that had under 75,000 votes on IMDB. I'm shitty at math so my formula isn't nearly perfect, but I think I have come up with a great, organized list of the top 245 movies of all time. I've linked to the IMDB, Rotten Tomato, and Metacritic pages for the top 10 movies. I would have linked to all 245, but that would have been extremely time consuming.
http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments ... db_rotten/

-Vader

Ehh... I think TSPDT is the only go-to top-whatever movie list you need.