Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Based4Life wrote:The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
"The Phantom of the Opera is a 1925 American silent horror film adaptation of the Gaston Leroux novel of the same title directed by Rupert Julian. The film featured Lon Chaney in the title role as the deformed Phantom who haunts the Paris Opera House, causing murder and mayhem in an attempt to force the management to make the woman he loves a star. It is most famous for Lon Chaney's intentionally horrific, self-applied make-up, which was kept a studio secret until the film's premiere."
"The film also features Mary Philbin, Norman Kerry, Arthur Edmund Carewe, Gibson Gowland, John St. Polis, and Snitz Edwards."
"The film has been deemed "culturally significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. In the United States, the film is in the public domain due to Universal's failure to renew the copyright in 1953, and may be freely downloaded from the Internet Archive. It was parodied in the 70's spoof film Phantom of the Paradise and by the Terry Pratchett novel Maskerade. This film was #52 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments The film was one of 400 films nominated to be on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition)."

This is one of my favorite films of all time, and if anyone wants to seriously consider acting they should look into the work of Lon Chaney (Talli this means you). He was an absolute genius silent film actor and one of the first pioneers of film make up (doing all of his own make up). I hold this film near and dear to my heart so please consider seeing it. You can view it free online.

I'll definitely check it out, thanks Based. Have you seen the Butler version (I mean Schumacher's :P )?

m4st4 wrote:I'll definitely check it out, thanks Based. Have you seen the Butler version (I mean Schumacher's :P )?
Yes and in classic Schumacher style he butchered it. WAY too much Hollywood glam, and cast the worst possible lead he could have. Emmy Rossum was okay, and Patrick Wilson is a trained Broadway singer so that was an excellent choice. Andrew Lloyd Webber shouldn't have let Schumacher touch it.

Based4Life wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I'll definitely check it out, thanks Based. Have you seen the Butler version (I mean Schumacher's :P )?
Yes and in classic Schumacher style he butchered it. WAY too much Hollywood glam, and cast the worst possible lead he could have. Emmy Rossum was okay, and Patrick Wilson is a trained Broadway singer so that was an excellent choice. Andrew Lloyd Webber shouldn't have let Schumacher touch it.
100% Agreed. And there's something about Emmy Rossum I simply don't like... She's Anne Hathaway's little sister, the one that no one cares about, that kind of way.

m4st4 wrote:
Based4Life wrote:
100% Agreed. And there's something about Emmy Rossum I simply don't like... She's Anne Hathaway's little sister, the one that no one cares about, that kind of way.
LMAO, thats like the perfect description of her. :lol: But she is a cutie. :D

Based4Life wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
LMAO, thats like the perfect description of her. :lol: But she is a cutie. :D
Yes she is. :D Here's something sweet, still within the boundaries of this thread since it's 1986:

I'd like to see something like that - LIVE. :shock:

^EPIC post. I saw the show live when I was around 6 years old and I REALLY want to see it on Broadway. There really isn't an experience quite like it, let me tell you. The lavish music, the absolutely gorgeous sets and costumes, and the emotionally driven performances. Its truly worth every penny you spend going to it.

If you can't see the show live, this is the next best thing since its the ONLY DVD/BluRay of the live show:

Seriously pick it up, its awe inspiring.

^ Pumped and ready, I'll make sure to check it out as soon as possible! :clap:

m4st4 wrote:Watch Orson Welles’ Final TV Interview, Recorded a Few Hours Before He Died

From collider.com:
On October 10, 1985, at the age of 70, he gave his final television interview on The Merv Griffin Show mere hours before succumbing to a heart attack at his Los Angeles home. In the clip, which lasts 9:44, Welles is engaging and quick-witted as ever, but there’s a hint of the tragic at times as he’s compelled to discuss his lost youth, lost love and the “painful times” of his past. Of course, whenever a man like this speaks, we all do well to listen.
Very, very interesting. Love this thread. I'm gonna play the Apocalypse Now fanboy card one more time. Came upon this and was delighted to see Coppola giving the due credit for the Apocalypse Now genesis to John Milius.

Touch of Evil (1958)

Touch of Evil is a 1958 American crime thriller film, written, directed by, and co-starring Orson Welles. The screenplay was loosely based on the novel Badge of Evil by Whit Masterson. Along with Welles, the cast includes Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Joseph Calleia, Akim Tamiroff, and Marlene Dietrich.

Touch of Evil is one of the last examples of film noir in the genre's classic era (from the early 1940s until the late 1950s).

^ Janet Leigh. Oh, and one of the best films I've seen. :twothumbsup: