Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
yes, it's a really, really incredible film. i bought it on Criterion after seeing Chris's comments and seeing Vader rave about it

the construction of suspense in Clouzet's work is all about ramping up the odds scene after scene which creates this tension that we imagine has to snap at some point - much like the climax of Dunkirk. i don't necessarily think there are that many shot to shot similarities stylistically. i think that factor of Dunkirk is attributable more to Bresson. the extreme close ups of pilots checking their fuel and whatnot reminds me a lot of how Bresson shoots the pickpocketing scenes in Pickpocket.

but yeah, Wages of Fear is awesome. if you're in the NYC area DEFINITELY see that - 35mm screenings are always a treat

Michaelf2225 wrote:yes, it's a really, really incredible film. i bought it on Criterion after seeing Chris's comments and seeing Vader rave about it

the construction of suspense in Clouzet's work is all about ramping up the odds scene after scene which creates this tension that we imagine has to snap at some point - much like the climax of Dunkirk. i don't necessarily think there are that many shot to shot similarities stylistically. i think that factor of Dunkirk is attributable more to Bresson. the extreme close ups of pilots checking their fuel and whatnot reminds me a lot of how Bresson shoots the pickpocketing scenes in Pickpocket.

but yeah, Wages of Fear is awesome. if you're in the NYC area DEFINITELY see that - 35mm screenings are always a treat
Nice. I haven't seen any of Bresson's work. I will have to see where I find Pickpocket now as well.

what's going on with that movie

i just rewatched it / showed it to the girlfriend her first vieing

one of my close friends just saw it for the first time

is there a reason this movie is all over the place?

-Vader

humans do nothing but subconsciously react to trends

cocaine? no thanks i'll just have film restoration videos

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Had seen the restored version of Mildred Pierce in a Film Preservation and Restoration Workshop few months ago. Criterion People introduced the film with this clip only.

Speaking of restorations, the MoC version of The Quiet Man is stunning.

3-strip Technicolor is the best process. Ever. There's something about it that puts it over the 70mm formats for me, an unreal quality that nobody seems able to replicate on other formats.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 10:05 pm

i came

This thread is six years old and was made during The Avengers era on NF. Every time someone bumps it I feel proud.

Keep bumping with quality stuff guys.