Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:This is cool.
So I was bored and decided to take the top movie lists from IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic and averaged each movies scores to get one ultimate list of the best movies of all time. I tried my best to keep out movies that had under 75,000 votes on IMDB. I'm shitty at math so my formula isn't nearly perfect, but I think I have come up with a great, organized list of the top 245 movies of all time. I've linked to the IMDB, Rotten Tomato, and Metacritic pages for the top 10 movies. I would have linked to all 245, but that would have been extremely time consuming.
http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments ... db_rotten/

-Vader
That's a weird ass list

The Searchers and Vertigo though. I do not, and probably never will, get it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The Searchers and Vertigo though. I do not, and probably never will, get it.

-Vader
Took me 2 goes for both.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Vader182 wrote:The Searchers and Vertigo though. I do not, and probably never will, get it.

-Vader
Took me 2 goes for both.
I mean, I've studied Vertigo in multiple uni-level courses and saw the thing in 70mm. I don't want to call it boring but...

It's pretty boring.

-Vader

ur doing it wrong

Personally, I think Vertigo is Hitchcock's most overrated film. For me, at least, it just can't match the likes of Rear Window, North by Northwest, or even Psycho.

But it's a completely different type of experience. It's not a thriller with taut story beats at all. It's a sick, deranged "romance", a visual whirlpool that... I dunno, you just surrender to, rather than sitting on the edge of your seat as you would with most other Hitchcock films. If Kane was about what you can do with editing, this is about what you can do with colour.

After you've seen it a few times, the first half of the film just lulls you to sleep. I enjoy the rest of it though.