Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:Thoughts?£
Sorry for such a short post... hm... I was never really much of a fan. I like it, but it's not my favorite from the classic Disney. A rewatch might do the trick then. What do you think?

It was always one of my absolute favourites. I adore it. It's like on that Aladdin/The Great Mouse Detective/The Jungle Book upper echelon for me.

Hans Conreid's performance is, to put it conservatively, the funniest shit.

Well I say it has the first act of a classic Disney. Things start to become less and less focused as it moves past it and then at the end it revives some of its qualities but still fails to fulfil it's true potential. If you don't compare it with the source material you would definitely enjoy it more. It's a 4/5 good disney film but not 4.5/5 great stuff. Among Disney's 50s classics I prefer both Alice in Wonderland and Cinderella though perhaps not Sleeping Beauty. Nevertheless Captain Hook deserves his place in Disney's pantheon of memorable villains, as does Tinkerbell among their best sidekicks. But those two go without saying I guess.£

I can't really say where I'm standing with classic Disney since it's been a long time... I'll probably get on that sometimes this year.

I'm still wondering though... why is Disney not rebooting Mickey Mouse?!? That short before Frozen was phenomenal.

Here:

The Lost Boys (1987) - Joel Schumacher

Speaking of 'Peter Pan'... just watched this for the first time and I'm amazed how good it is. Epithome of the 80s, everything here works as a memorabilia set filled with soundtrack gems, flashy wardrobe disasters, eyeliners and wacky hairstyles, wonderfully realized editing choices that create effortlessly moody atmosphere combined with crazy cool kids antics from the very beginning... It doesn't form it's own aesthetic though but revels in the one that's been around back then, handpicking the best parts, and that's great. 'The Lost Boys' is just classic period piece and now one of my favorite movies about vampires.

Dado wrote:Image

OK, I must confess that I've never read Dune or any other Frank Herbert novel. The only Dune I know is the 1984 David Lynch film which, although pretty flawed, I like, cause there's a lot of cool and weird stuff in it. I'm also not familiar with Jodorowsky's filmography. In fact, the only Jodorowsky works I'm familiar with are his comic book collaborations with Moebius (Incal saga) and Arno (Les Aventures d'Alef-Thau saga) which I must say, are nothing less than amazing. But after watching this documentary, I'm seriously considering digging into Herbert's saga and anything else Jodorowsky that comes my way.

Anybody who digs sci-fi will be amazed by the scale of this highly ambitious project, and also, it's impossible not to feel excited about it when you hear its story from Jodorowsky himself (I mean, talk about a passionate man… that's Jodorowsky). Long story short, he wanted to make a 14 hour long film that included names like Jean "Moebius" Giraud, H.R. Giger, Chris Foss, Dan O'Bannon, Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, Pink Floyd, Mick Jagger, Douglas Trumbull, among others. The project was born in the early 70's and died by 1976. But it didn't really died, cause it was extremely well documented and a lot of great artists had access to it. So, it's very interesting to see that, since then, a lot of great sci-fi titles were influenced by it.

So, the movie never got made - and personally, I must say that I'm glad it wasn't (for reasons that are in the documentary and that I'm not going over now unless someone wants to discuss it). But not all was lost cause, this project gave birth to what I consider one of the greatest achievements in comic book history: Jodorowsky and Moebius' Incal Light saga (1981-1989), a story I hope I'll see in the big screen before I die (but only if it's done in a James Cameron or Peter Jackson type epic scale). For those who like sci-fi / fantasy sagas and comics with exceptionally great art, I cannot recommend enough that you check this out.

Finally saw it... my mind was blown alright. 8-)

One of the best movies I've seen.

m4st4 wrote:Image
Seriously? I can't recall a single thing about it, so it didn't have any effect upon me (as a matter of fact, I vaguely remember not quite enjoying it) but if you have it in such high standard, I'll try to check it out if I get the chance.

m4st4 wrote:Image
lol Cash Converters

BlairCo wrote: lol Cash Converters
I just realised that, after M4 posted that many hours ago.