Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:I wonder if audiences in the 60s saw Lawrence and were like "that's gay as balls." Not just the absence of women, but the rampant homoeroticism. Not rhetorical, I'm curious.

-Vader
Considering audiences (and crew) were already latching on to how gay Ben-Hur is a few years prior, I assume so.

Beyond everything else, there's the Ferrer sequence as well.

This would be my case for Why movies are beautiful and necessary argument presented upon sceptics and aliens.

Linklater sure is a Wenders fan

prince0gotham wrote:Linklater sure is a Wenders fan
Minus the visual style, do you think? Now that I think of Linklater... is he interested in the set-up at all, or is it just two people for him, living their lives?

I appreciate the minimalism in both.

Actually exactly paris texas is very linklaterish, wings has long gliding takes n so on

Dado! Happy New Year my friend! 8-)

*This'll be my first movie related video this year, and it's Stanley. Not bad at all. :thumbup:

It's the "uncool" Kubrick film and I know I rant about it a lot, but I guess not having seen it for ages I miss it: Spartacus, even if it's just a gun-for-hire job is one of the most wonderfully subversive anti-epics there is. It's unique in that the real joy is the interactions, not in the spectacle at all. It boasts my favourite character interactions of any Kubrick films... I'm astonished that YouTube is bereft of the Laughton/Ustinov scenes because they're gold. It's also the film that made me a fan of Larry Olivier... his uber weirdo version of Crassus is what Carrell in the Foxcatcher trailers kinda reminds me of. Not cosmetically but just the drive of the character.

Yeah I need to see Fear and Desire & Spartacus then my life will be complete.

Spartacus is a really great film. Can't say the same thing about Fear and Desire though...