Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Stone on Natural Born Killers and QT

“We did a lot of work on the script,” Stone said. “It was a story by this guy and we took it and we turned it inside out, and we turned it into something else. By that, I mean three of us. [Screenwriters] David Veloz, Richard Rutowski and myself. We worked very hard on it. People always confuse that and it annoys the shit out of me. So I just want to get that straight.”

The topic only seemed to fruther set Stone off, as the director continued on a spiel to major laughs from the sold out crowd.

“And by the way, it was a very complicated deal. These two [pointing to Don Murphy and referencing his producing partner Jane Hamsher] made it very difficult because there was a whole legal trail of shit with Mr. QT and blah blah blah. All the bad mouthing. I’m glad the film got made ... because nobody at Warner Bros. wanted to make this film. Nobody. Woody was the last choice on their list, thank God. And I got that by. You were number six or something and the other five, of course, passed.”
After all these year, Stone is still insecure about this film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ry-1246467

i ended up watching a bunch of wim wenders movies after seeing this trailer (including alice in the cities which i now love)

prince is as obsessed with wings of desire as i am with miami vice

-Vader

Anna Karina, Radiant Actress and Jean-Luc Godard Muse, Dies at 79
Anna Karina, the French New Wave starlet who rose to international acclaim in films directed by her then-husband Jean-Luc Godard, has died. She was 79.

Karina died Saturday at 2:38 p.m. in Paris of cancer, her agent, Laurent Balandras, told The Hollywood Reporter. Her husband, Dennis Berry, was by her side.

She and Godard were married from 1961-64, and she served as his muse in such memorable works as A Woman Is a Woman (1961) — for which she received a Silver Bear at the Berlin Film Festival — Vivre sa vie (1962), Band of Outsiders (1964), Pierrot le Fou (1965) and Alphaville (1965).

The actress' productive career was not limited to the movies of Godard, however. She accumulated more than 50 feature credits, working with other major auteurs like Jacques Rivette, Luchino Visconti, Chris Marker, Volker Schlöndorff and Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

Karina also headlined a number of English-language productions, including Guy Green's The Magus (1968), J. Lee Thompson's Before Winter Comes (1968), George Cukor's Justine (1969), Tony Richardson's Laughter in the Dark (1969) and Jean-Yves Prate's Regina Roma (1982), in which she starred alongside Anthony Quinn and Ava Gardner.
She always had a way of capturing my heart by that twinkle in her eye. I just cannot believe she is now gone.

Au revoir...

I screened Pierrot Le Fou for friends some years ago, and one friend said he was so mesmerized watching Anna Karina on screen he forgot to read the subtitles. She was a goddess.

-Vader

It's been 40 years, ladies and gentleman.