Transcendence (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Rumors are that the budget is actually fairly substantial.

apw
TeddyBlass wrote:Rumors are that the budget is actually fairly substantial.
I posted earlier that American Cinematographer described it as a "major, high budget feature".

Rumors are that Wally might not DP anymore and will instead focus on directing only in the future.

TeddyBlass wrote:Rumors are that Wally might not DP anymore and will instead focus on directing only in the future.
Wasn't that practically confirmed in the (latest?) Empire issue?

Yeah, pretty much.

apw
Empire is the only source of that rumour and I'm hoping it was just an assumption on their part. I'll wait till I hear it directly from Wally. The recent article in American Cinematographer, which talked about his directorial debut, made no mention of him retiring.

I find it strange that he would retire from being a DP to become a film director before he has even had a movie out since it might not work out for him.

And the fact this movie is from Alcon doesn't inspire any confidence in me. I don't think they've ever made a movie that could described as anything other than average (bar Insomnia - probably their only decent movie).

I've heard from people that this stuff is coming straight from Wally.

apw
TeddyBlass wrote:I've heard from people that this stuff is coming straight from Wally.
And these people are?

apw wrote: And these people are?
I'm not sure I am at liberty to say.

TeddyBlass wrote:Rumors are that Wally might not DP anymore and will instead focus on directing only in the future.
If it's true, it's terrible news. I was excited about him finally getting to direct his own film, but... completely abandoning his career as a DP? :(
He has brought so much to Nolan's films. I really don't want to see their collaboration end. And after watching Moneyball I was actually starting to hope he'd work with many other directors, too.

Why, Wally? Why?