Robocop (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:Of course Verhoeven's film aged... it's very specifically about the time that it was made. It's a parody of what was happening at the time.

Hot Fuzz will "age" in that sense too.
I'm not talking about the time - I'm talking about action sequences, dialog, editing... all the stuff that has nothing to do with the time, more like seeing things with different set of yes.

Hot Fuzz will not age in terms of direction, Terminator II aged well, so did Alien and New Hope, etc.

Wait, people are trashing on the original Robocop in here? Do you guys drown puppies as well?

I agree Verhoeven overall isn't that great, but Robocop is his masterpiece. Stuff like Total Recall and a few others I don't think live up to their reputations much at all, but I have to disagree that Robocop aged badly. And I doubt this remake, whether good or bad, is going to age as well as the original.

chom wrote:Wait, people are trashing on the original Robocop in here? Do you guys drown puppies as well?
Nobody's ''trashing'' Robocop (1987) - people are simply looking at it with a set of different eyes.

What I'd gladly ''trash'' is the kind of attitude that dismisses the new one with one and only argument - Verhoeven's movie is the untouchable satire to rule them all!

m4st4 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Of course Verhoeven's film aged... it's very specifically about the time that it was made. It's a parody of what was happening at the time.

I'm not talking about the time - I'm talking about action sequences, dialog, editing... all the stuff that has nothing to do with the time, more like seeing things with different set of yes.

Hot Fuzz will not age in terms of direction, Terminator II aged well, so did Alien and New Hope, etc.
Action sequences, editing, dialogue have everything to do with the time. Verhoeven made a film that was representative of cinema of the time, because that was what he was making comment on, even if there are prescient elements. See also: Network.

I can't tell the future, but Hot Fuzz is a similar deal because Wright is very deliberately parodying Michael Bay, Tony Scott et al with his approach. Those other films you cite were made with an approach that was divorced from the cinematic style of the time (Gil Taylor is responsible for this with Star Wars).

ArmandFancypants wrote:
m4st4 wrote:

Action sequences, editing, dialogue have everything to do with the time. Verhoeven made a film that was representative of cinema of the time, because that was what he was making comment on, even if there are prescient elements. See also: Network.

I can't tell the future, but Hot Fuzz is a similar deal because Wright is very deliberately parodying Michael Bay, Tony Scott et al with his approach. Those other films you cite were made with an approach that was divorced from the cinematic style of the time (Gil Taylor is responsible for this with Star Wars).
You still don't get it and quoting Network for the sake of it won't help either. Go ahead and watch Robocop today - I'm talking about the composition of action shots and how unrealistic they look - that wasn't deliberate, just cheap, Verhoeven slacked (he did not on Starship Troopers - much better example of a satire if you ask me). And Terminator was well aware of the action blockbuster curve at the time, even though it was ''tech noir'' brilliance (see also: True Lies - still one of the best, and yet it plays relatively safe within the genre conventions; relatively, since Cameron's delivered some of the best action sequences even for today's standards). In short, and again, Robocop aged a lot, doesn't mean it's a bad movie (it always was, but not in a trashy kind of way) - what it means is this, Robocop 2014 should receive a lot shorter list of bullshit accusations from the fanboys and cinephiles alike, because it improves on the foundation and eventually brings even more to the table.

I enjoyed the film but it's nowhere near the Verhoeven classic. On it's own it's pretty damn great. 8/10

Watched the original a couple weeks ago. Still great. And funny as hell. I'll probably check this one out on "cable". Eventually.

Red Hood wrote:I enjoyed the film but it's nowhere near the Verhoeven classic. On it's own it's pretty damn great. 8/10
If it's nowhere near that leaves us with what, 10/10 score?

m4st4 wrote:
Red Hood wrote:I enjoyed the film but it's nowhere near the Verhoeven classic. On it's own it's pretty damn great. 8/10
If it's nowhere near that leaves us with what, 10/10 score?
lol