Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sandy wrote:
FreakLikeMe wrote:
Allstar wrote:He is nothing like Nolan lol.
That's why it's controversial.
I absolutely adore Cianfrance, so I'm willing to hear you out on this.

Pitch me "Cianfrance's Batman". Go:
Cianfrance's Batman:
"The Caped Crusader" starring Ryan Gosling as Batman (most likely), cinematography by: Sean Bobbitt, music by: Thomas Newman, edited by: Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall. It's a TDK-style crime thriller. Batman and Gordon are hunting a serial killer named Victor Zsasz, Gordon's daughter, Barbara gets killed by Zsasz and so we get a cycle of avenging her death by Gordon who is determined to get Zsasz and he compromises all of his principles as an ethical law enforcer to the point that he is almost a bad person himself (illegal wire tapping, torturing during interrogations of possible suspects that may know Zsasz, unwarranted searches and seizures, etc...). The Daily Planet is about to break a story about these unethical practices that will ruin Gordon's career as commissioner. Batman is aware of this and the only way to prevent The Daily Planet from revealing the unethical practices and just plainly stop Gordon from compromising his principles repeatedly is to go after Zsasz with all the tools he has. So technically you have a duality of problems -- Victor Zsasz killings and Gordon going insane with power -- that are fused together by the Daily Planet's report -- which is also a huge problem -- that must be confronted by Batman.

FreakLikeMe wrote:
Sandy wrote:

Cianfrance's Batman:
"The Caped Crusader" starring Ryan Gosling as Batman (most likely), cinematography by: Sean Bobbitt, music by: Thomas Newman, edited by: Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall. It's a TDK-style crime thriller. Batman and Gordon are hunting a serial killer named Victor Zsasz, Gordon's daughter, Barbara gets killed by Zsasz and so we get a cycle of avenging her death by Gordon who is determined to get Zsasz and he compromises all of his principles as an ethical law enforcer to the point that he is almost a bad person himself (illegal wire tapping, torturing during interrogations of possible suspects that may know Zsasz, unwarranted searches and seizures, etc...). The Daily Planet is about to break a story about these unethical practices that will ruin Gordon's career as commissioner. Batman is aware of this and the only way to prevent The Daily Planet from revealing the unethical practices and just plainly stop Gordon from compromising his principles repeatedly is to go after Zsasz with all the tools he has. So technically you have a duality of problems -- Victor Zsasz killings and Gordon going insane with power -- that are fused together by the Daily Planet's report -- which is also a huge problem -- that must be confronted by Batman.
I appreciate the effort. Now, to take it a step further, where do the unique talents of Derek Cianfrance fit into this?

Sandy wrote:
FreakLikeMe wrote:
Sandy wrote:

Cianfrance's Batman:
I appreciate the effort. Now, to take it a step further, where do the unique talents of Derek Cianfrance fit into this?
Have you seen The Place Beyond the Pines? I will use spoiler alert tags to talk about it, but don't click them if you haven't.
In The Place Beyond the Pines you have someone directing who has a skill set for
creating anticipatory, complex, and climactic single-shot chase sequences, ambitious storytelling, and multiple storylines
that would work for a film like Batman, not just my version, but any version of Batman as long as it is a complex narrative. You give Cianfrance the script to TDK and he could handle it. It is under my hopes that this reboot of Batman that is going to happen would try to take it back to Batman's original roots as "The World's Greatest Detective" and Cianfrance could make that work. I can see only 4 directors that would be able to handle a Batman film and make it on par with (or a little below) the TDK trilogy and they are Affleck, Aronofsky, Cianfrance, and Ang Lee. Cianfrance is the best person that would be able to maintain the complexity of storytelling that Nolan's Batman has brought to the zeitgeist.

Let The Right One In bored the shit out of me. I really don't get that flick's appeal.

Argo's fine, but (I think) the only reason it won so many awards is because it's about Hollywood, and it's patting Hollywood on the back for something it had a role in 30 years ago. Affleck stages the airport scene really well, though.

Kick Ass is garbage. That movie's kind of like Argo For Fanboys, where it's patting fanboys on the back with inside jokes about comic books and comic book movie tropes, but the movie itself is...nothing. There's nothing interesting going on in that movie, and it's because all the characters are unlikable. But I'm not that big of a fan of Matthew Vaughn, anyway--I only got 15 minutes into Layer Cake.

3:10 To Yuma 1957 >>>>3:10 To Yuma 2007.

FreakLikeMe wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Have you seen The Place Beyond the Pines? I will use spoiler alert tags to talk about it, but don't click them if you haven't.
In The Place Beyond the Pines you have someone directing who has a skill set for
creating anticipatory, complex, and climactic single-shot chase sequences, ambitious storytelling, and multiple storylines
that would work for a film like Batman, not just my version, but any version of Batman as long as it is a complex narrative. You give Cianfrance the script to TDK and he could handle it. It is under my hopes that this reboot of Batman that is going to happen would try to take it back to Batman's original roots as "The World's Greatest Detective" and Cianfrance could make that work. I can see only 4 directors that would be able to handle a Batman film and make it on par with (or a little below) the TDK trilogy and they are Affleck, Aronofsky, Cianfrance, and Ang Lee. Cianfrance is the best person that would be able to maintain the complexity of storytelling that Nolan's Batman has brought to the zeitgeist.
The Place Beyond the Pines is one of my favorite films, at least of this year. Personally, I think that a Batman film would be a poor showcase of Cianfrance's talents, but I appreciate the thought you've put into this, and I'll add Rian Johnson to the list of guys who could maybe do a good Batman.

Vader182 wrote:I'm not so sure this is controversial any longer, but Ridley Scott's off his rocker as it were.

-Vader
I'm not a fan of Cormac, but the cast of The Counselor is really impressive
Exodus seems another great epic and maybe Bale will be in it

I agree his last films were okay or even bad, but he's having overall a good century so far (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, American Gangster) and his next projects have some potential

chom wrote:Let The Right One In bored the shit out of me. I really don't get that flick's appeal.
Likely because it's semi-fresh to the beat up genre, portraying Vamp's as grotesque creatures that are slaves to their horrifying needs, not romanticized sexy supermen/women that happen to drink blood. That combined with the expert film craft make it easy to see why it's so appealing to both Vamp and film fans, even if it's on the slower end.

Transmorfing is a higher form of transforming.

Try saying that fast 50 times.

Srsly tho, it is.

I mean that his mind seems to be slipping a bit, almost a more extreme version of 'lost his touch.' He seems disconnected from creativity and skill, for instance. The Prometheus special features solidify this, as I've spoken to Prince and others about. It's disconcerting to see a former master operate that way.

It's also semi-proven by his choices of composer.

-Vader

Scott has never been an overly gifted storyteller, though. He rarely gets the basics right - the only times I could accuse him of that are Alien and Thelma & Louise. Even Blade Runner is more of an atmospheric, visceral treat than a really robustly-plotted thriller/drama.