Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LoneCooper wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:It sucks that Nolan has sorta become a meme director in the eyes of the public. So now if you're unironically a fan of his work, you are seen as someone with shit taste. It was oh so different only a few short years ago. It basically all changed when he made TDKR and the internet decided he's the worst thing to happen to Hollywood.
:clap:

Well said.

He's only a meme director online. I don't think I've ever ran into someone, in any of my film classes, who's looked down on him. Hell, my film theory professor has a big old Dark Knight poster in her office.

Yeah, he's not looked down on in my film classes either.

That said, a girl I know that goes to the Columbia film school in Chicago swears everyone there hates Nolan.

-Vader

Crazy Eight wrote:He's only a meme director online. I don't think I've ever ran into someone, in any of my film classes, who's looked down on him. Hell, my film theory professor has a big old Dark Knight poster in her office.
Same here, pretty much all the guys in my film class are Nolan fans. Last week I went to my college interview and I got to speak with a couple of the students there who are majoring in film, and they all talked about how they flocked to see Interstellar and how much they all enjoyed it. Even then, Nolan is generally a respected film-maker on the Internet, despite a very vocal portion who hate him.

slimshady247 wrote:I actually really enjoyed Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (the film, and the game, too). Does that make me a bad person?
No. It makes you a bad boy.

m4st4 wrote:
slimshady247 wrote:I actually really enjoyed Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (the film, and the game, too). Does that make me a bad person?
No. It makes you a bad boy.
No presents for him. :lol:

TomsWindow wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:He's only a meme director online. I don't think I've ever ran into someone, in any of my film classes, who's looked down on him. Hell, my film theory professor has a big old Dark Knight poster in her office.
Same here, pretty much all the guys in my film class are Nolan fans. Last week I went to my college interview and I got to speak with a couple of the students there who are majoring in film, and they all talked about how they flocked to see Interstellar and how much they all enjoyed it. Even then, Nolan is generally a respected film-maker on the Internet, despite a very vocal portion who hate him.
I think haters take more issue with Nolan's fanbase than the guy himself.

OpenBook wrote:I think haters take more issue with Nolan's fanbase than the guy himself.
It's connected. Avid fanbase's rampancy often starts getting pretty obnoxious for the folks 'outside the ring' so they start hating on the guy as well.

Happened to me with Tom Hardy and Leo at some point, as a direct effect of turmoils on NF. Also, remember Interstellar thread before the premiere? It was mostly new members posting non-stop hype, 24-7, started getting silly pretty soon.

As many have already stated, Nolan is incredibly well-respected among the average film-goer and most critics. He just hasn't made an "Oscar-type," film yet that caters to the Academy's tastes. I don't think however, that a lot of people just woke up one day and thought it would be trendy to start hating on Nolan. If anything, the hype was so heavy going into Inception, considering this was his follow-up to The Dark Knight, that you would think the backlash would occur there. It didn't. He lived up to the hype and people loved and talked about Inception for many many weeks.

The criticism that has followed Nolan since TDKR and now Interstellar, is in large part due, in my eyes, to those two films feeling distinctly different in terms of editing, which impacted various other aspects of the films. I find it a legitimate criticism. I don't look down on Nolan, I just wish he'd get back to a more laser-like focus on storytelling that he mastered with Memento, TDK, Inception (and even The Prestige).

Skyab23 wrote: He just hasn't made an "Oscar-type," film yet that caters to the Academy's tastes.
That really isn't a bad thing.