Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
prince0gotham wrote:tdkr is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more horrifying than tdk
I politely disagree, Sir.

first bane fight, climb, second bane fight, rope around neck, nuke

on all of these, even after several viewings, i still get a lump in my throat wondering if he'll make it

that's not even mentioning all the murder and destruction, like, the gotham bomb chain sequence was horrifyingly realistic

the hanging of those people on the bridge (hanging)

the exile thing (drowning)

all the neck breaking (breaking)

suffocation of justice trough kangaroo courts

the very concept of civil unrest and inter-class warfare is absolutely terrifying to this day and probably especially today

the concept of how possible coups like Bane's are

you should count the god damn nuke too

your move, TDK

Much like Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Monsters University, Brave is a stupid, poorly written, awfully directed and unnecessary animated film.
What the hell happend to the people who created Ratatouille, Up, Finding Nemo & The Incredibles?
Seriously, 2012's only good Animation was Wreck-It Ralph.
Don't even get me started on DreamWorks Animation.

dasheight wrote:Much like Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Monsters University, Brave is a stupid, poorly written, awfully directed and unnecessary animated film.
What the hell happend to the people who created Ratatouille, Up, Finding Nemo & The Incredibles?
Monsters University was actually a genius made underdog film if you think about it. It's on the ranks of Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, Ratatouille, and its predecessor Monsters Inc.

FreakLikeMe wrote:
dasheight wrote:Much like Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Monsters University, Brave is a stupid, poorly written, awfully directed and unnecessary animated film.
Monsters University was actually a genius made underdog film if you think about it. It's on the ranks of Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, Ratatouille, and its predecessor Monsters Inc.
I'll need to see it again.
I think Pixar needs to stop fucking around with sequels.
We all want one thing: The Incredibles 2 and unique new films.

They're doing The Good Dinosaur next year, and a couple years they're doing something called 'Inside the Mind' and a Day of the Dead film (zombies?)

dasheight wrote:
FreakLikeMe wrote:
I'll need to see it again.
I think Pixar needs to stop fucking around with sequels.
We all want one thing: The Incredibles 2 and unique new films.

prince0gotham wrote:tdkr is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more horrifying than tdk
But is it as compelling to watch? Even with all the stuff you listened.. for me. No, but it's fucking close.

The boat scene.. really gets me. I thought they were gonna blow each other up upon my first viewing. The Joker had me. I find the ending to be so uplifting.

People ready to believe in good.

Yeah TDKR is much more horrifying though. We see society pretty much crumble.

Granted, it's not all of society, just most of Gotham.

Vader182 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Scott has never been an overly gifted storyteller, though. He rarely gets the basics right - the only times I could accuse him of that are Alien and Thelma & Louise. Even Blade Runner is more of an atmospheric, visceral treat than a really robustly-plotted thriller/drama.
Blade Runner's aware it's more of an abstraction than anything though, it's not as though it uses the mystery of the investigation to compel viewers along. The key difference is the 'small things' seem increasingly important in some of his films as the 'big things' seem to lose more and more of their luster.

-Vader
RE: Blade Runner, no doubt, that's not the kind of film it's trying to be. In a way, you have to almost avoid the basics if you want to do something transcendent like that (this is why Lean has a fair stake in the "greatest filmmaker ever" stakes).

RE: The TDKR discussion, I think there's a fair argument for it being more terrifying... the sheer scale of the carnage is massively intimidating. But TDK's scenarios are truly scary, for my money.