X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Despite a rather rushed production, an entirely new cast and taking the risk of setting the film in the ’60s, X-Men: First Class proved to be the most critically well-received superhero film of the year. Thanks to director Matthew Vaughn, Bryan Singer and some creative writing on the part of Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz and others, Twentieth Century Fox has revitalized the team-based aspect of the X-Men franchise.

X-Men: First Class raked in over $350 million at the worldwide box office and so a sequel is on the way. Sherlock Holmes writer Simon Kinberg will be handling the screenplay this time around, and Matthew Vaughn is already pitching sequel ideas to Fox about Charles Xavier who will remain a key focus of the next film.

Just last week, co-star Michael Fassbender talked about his ideas for the sequel, explaining that since the first film saw the transformation of Magneto into the character we know him as, he’d like to see James McAvoy get to do the same with Charles Xavier becoming Professor X.

Here is what Fassbender said:
I have no idea. I’m looking forward to working with all those people again. We had a lot of fun. It was a great cast and a great crew. Hopefully, I’ll get in at ground level and start putting some ideas together myself, with James [McAvoy] and, hopefully, Matthew [Vaughn], and we can see what happens next.”

I’m really interested to see what happens to Charles, in the next one, and see how he becomes Professor X ‘cause we got to see [my character] Erik turn into Magneto, in the first one. It will be interesting to see who shaves Charles’ head. When he’s drunk one night, the mutants will go in there and shave his head and shave off his eyebrows. Maybe. {laughs}
McAvoy agrees and says that by the end of the first film it’s already established that Erik Lensherr (Magneto) is a villain, but Xavier still has quite a lot to deal with and a lot of evolving to do, so to speak, before becoming the cool, calm and collected leader of the X-Men.
…I know that with Charles, you either have to write him out of the movie or give him an interesting story. He can’t just become the guy that we saw in the first three movies. He just had two major things happen to him. He’s lost his best friend, essentially, and he’s just been paralyzed from the waist down. Which is just a huge, huge blow to his considerable ego. So he’s got to deal with that.

And I don’t think we can just brush over that and go,’yeah I’m in a wheelchair now,’ because Professor X is in a wheelchair. You’ve got to deal with that, I don’t care if he’s a superhero and has brain powers or not, he’s just had a huge part of his physical life taken away from him, by someone he cares about more than anyone else. So he’s got to deal with that. That’s part of the interesting ideas that we’re talking about with Matthew [Vaughn], that Matthew’s very excited about which I think is fantastic, but I can’t really get into them with you because they may (or may not) form the spine of the story.
Like the rest of the major cast members, McAvoy is locked in to a 3-picture deal with Fox so expect him, Fassbander and others for the sequel sometime after Hugh Jackman returns for The Wolverine. The actor explains that there’s no point in doing the sequel unless its story is good enough for the movie to stand strongly by itself so despite the success of First Class, the studio isn’t rushing the sequel.

Sources:

Fassbender Interview - http://collider.com/michael-fassbender- ... el/126002/

McAvoy Interview - http://io9.com/5860955/
Last edited by oracle86 on November 22nd, 2011, 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Replace McAvoy with Hardy and you got a masterpiece.

Rented X-Men First Class last night cause I haven't seen it since theaters. Forgot how fucking good that movie is. Gotta go buy it on Blu-Ray.

I game for a sequel. First Class was a pleasant surprise this year.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

I thought the first was, and still is, highly overrated. I believe I gave it a seven on last viewing, but I need to watch it again. Still, a sequel interests me if most of the original cast return.

Mason wrote:I thought the first was, and still is, highly overrated. I believe I gave it a seven on last viewing, but I need to watch it again. Still, a sequel interests me if most of the original cast return.
It should receive a 7 alone based on Fassbender's performance. Dude stole the show.

it couldve been less camp and more intricate...they really shouldnt have included the other x men...it should have been xavier and charles. But ofcourse, the pressure from the studio would probably not allow that.

mchekhov wrote:it couldve been less camp and more intricate...they really shouldnt have included the other x men...it should have been xavier and charles. But ofcourse, the pressure from the studio would probably not allow that.
You have to include the other X-Men. It would not be Charles Xavier otherwise.

Mason wrote:I thought the first was, and still is, highly overrated. I believe I gave it a seven on last viewing, but I need to watch it again. Still, a sequel interests me if most of the original cast return.
THIS

I don't like the original series, but First Class was surprisingly good. So I'm in for a sequel :-D