Favorite Duncan Jones film?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

What is your favorite Duncan Jones film?

Moon
78%
Source Code
22%

Total votes: 18

Just lol. :neutral:

For me it's Moon. Moon was one of the most realistic portrayals of space and indoor behavior on a ship in a long time. Sam Rockwell was clearly not pushed for the Academy Awards because he delivered one of the top 3 performances that year. Moon is not just about clones (or whatever) but it's also about the human aspirations, the human condition and the human's desire to research. Moon is also about the duality of mankind and it's greedy principles. It's about the love a human could carry towards more than just himself. A love dedicated to the unknown and to the vast of nothingness.

PS: Sam Rockwell as a person is genius. I know it because I know him.

RIFA wrote:Just lol. :neutral:

For me it's Moon. Moon was one of the most realistic portrayals of space and indoor behavior on a ship in a long time. Sam Rockwell was clearly not pushed for the Academy Awards because he delivered one of the top 3 performances that year. Moon is not just about clones (or whatever) but it's also about the human aspirations, the human condition and the human's desire to research. Moon is also about the duality of mankind and it's greedy principles. It's about the love a human could carry towards more than just himself. A love dedicated to the unknown and to the vast of nothingness.

PS: Sam Rockwell as a person is genius. I know it because I know him.
I said the film is built around that element, not that that's the point or purpose of it. I recognize what the film's themes were, and its realism.. it's just the typical man is alone in a confined space type narrative, which is more or a less a huge convention/cliche these days, having been explored so many times filmmakers abandoned that type of storytelling. I also recognize that those themes are basically the cliche run of the mill themes practically all real science fiction has had for 50 years. Nothing's new, period.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:it's just the typical man is alone in a confined space type narrative, which is more or a less a huge convention/cliche these days
I don't remember seeing many movies in the last 12 years following the same narrative wire...
Vader182 wrote:Nothing's new, period.
So... if nothing's new then the movie is "meh"??????

RIFA wrote:
Vader182 wrote:it's just the typical man is alone in a confined space type narrative, which is more or a less a huge convention/cliche these days
I don't remember seeing many movies in the last 12 years following the same narrative wire...
Vader182 wrote:Nothing's new, period.
So... if nothing's new then the movie is "meh"??????
Well, tons of b-movies do, but regardless, it's been so crazy done so many times, directors realized it isn't an effective storytelling method since so many people have seen it before. Also, more often than not, yeah. I really hate films that are super conventional, especially when they don't expand on them or re-contextualize them, like Ghost Writer did with the conventions of the classical thriller. It shows a lack of creativity, meaning the film, book, whatever, is just a retread, and its far worse when the themes are atypical of the genre, too. Body of Lies is guilty of this too, but has amazing performances and spectacular direction, making up for those flaws by a bit.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:it's been so crazy done so many times

-Vader
You say this a lot but can you give some examples? Moon felt very fresh and original to me.

Moon.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:

-Vader
You say this a lot but can you give some examples? Moon felt very fresh and original to me.
Sure.. The Shining/Into the Wild/Cast Away just to name a few that instantly spring to mind. They always react the same way... talking to themselves, trying to find things to entertain themselves.. sometimes it's funny, then it turns into haunting with a lot of tension... yeah.

Keep in mind, I've seen a lot of films. Not nearly as many as Rifa, but still, and I'm also extraordinarily well versed in science fiction, so everything in the film might have felt used because of that, but it's basically a list of science fiction cliches stuffed into one film that I didn't feel was particularly well directed.

-Vader

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:

-Vader
+1

I said that in the last 12 years there are at most 3 movies from the same genre... AT MOST. (Including Moon)

Moon :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

Loved both. Hard to decide. But I think Ill go with Moon:)