The Stand (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
Boone already has a King connection dating back to when he was 12 and King's books were banned in his household. The writer-director has previously recounted how he was forced to rip covers off of Christian books and tape them to King books just so he could slyly read them. The Stand however, faced a cruel fate: his mom found it under his bed and subsequently burnt it in the fireplace.

Boone, still 12, wrote a moving letter to the author to which he responded by sending the boy a box filled with books, with a letter written in the front covers of the tomes. The act impressed his parents, who then lifted the ban.

It started a lifelong relationship with King, who even played himself in Boone's feature debut, 2012's Stuck in Love, and recently gave Boone permission to adapt Lisey's Story.
Pretty cool!
kewl

Casting!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/f ... lff-701980
Not only will he star in the next John Green adaptation, Paper Towns, but he has also landed a role in TFIOS director Josh Boone's next film, The Stand, he told The Hollywood Reporter during an interview on Sunday.

Boone is attached to direct the adaptation of Stephen King’s epic novel, which is being made by Warner Bros. and CBS Films. He tells THR that he's writing a part specifically for Wolff, making this the third project the duo will have worked on together.
The Stand has cycled through several directors over the years, with Scott Cooper most recently on board to direct (as well as write) before leaving the project in November. Before that, Ben Affleck and David Yates were attached as directors.
The Stand, which is being produced by Jimmy Miller and Roy Lee, is a story of good versus evil after a virus wipes out most of the American population. It features dozens of characters (including such memorable ones as the Trashcan Man and Mother Abigail) and overlapping storylines running over many years as it tells of a group of survivors fighting the Antichrist-like Randall Flagg.
King, who now has a strong relationship with Boone after a receiving a moving letter from him at 12 years old, recently also gave Boone permission to adapt Lisey's Story.

Prior to TFIOS with Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, Boone first cast Wolff in his 2012 directorial debut, indie dramedy Stuck in Love, which also featured Greg Kinnear, Jennifer Connelly, Lily Collins, Kristen Bell and Logan Lerman (plus a cameo by King).
"He's a wonderful improviser, he's my secret weapon, my lucky rabbit's foot," Boone told THR. "Two or three of the biggest laughs in my first movie, he improvised. He's gonna be in every movie I make." The director said he was first introduced to Wolff by Stuck in Love's Liana Liberato, and also praised his performance in Palo Alto as "terrifying ... I really enjoyed it."
Wolff told THR of meeting the director three years ago: "We just immediately bonded; it was just love at first sight. We started arguing about movies we disagreed on, and we have a shorthand together now. I don't like somebody who just talks my ear off anyway, so I like that we have that relationship."
Wolff currently stars in Gia Coppola's directorial debut Palo Alto, and is slated to lead Fox 2000's next John Green book adaptation, Paper Towns, which will be adapted by TFIOS screenwriters Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber. He is represented by CAA and Untitled Ent.
Boone's The Fault in Our Stars hits theaters June 6. He is repped by CAA.

When The Fault in Our Stars director Josh Boone was hired to direct The Stand for Warner Bros., we assumed that the intent on the studio side would be to make a film or pair of films with a broad appeal. In other words, we figured that WB wanted Boone to craft a film that could harness some of the teen appeal and social media buzz of The Fault in Our Stars. Turns out that might not be quite the case, as the director says he plans a single film (but a very long one) with an R rating.

Vulture spoke to Boone, and asked specifically about his plans for The Stand.

We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome. I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s just crazy. I’ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young. I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King. I don’t read screenplays. I don’t read screenplay how-to books. It’s always just, establish the character. Establish the character.
http://www.slashfilm.com/stand-info/

Quite interesting.

I wonder if that report from the LA Leakers that King and Boone want McConaughey and Bale for the leads ever panned out.

TalkOnCorners wrote:I wonder if that report from the LA Leakers that King and Boone want McConaughey and Bale for the leads ever panned out.
McConaughey as Randall Flagg would truly be awesome. Who would Bale play? Stuart?

Not sure. I don't recall the roles being mentioned. I think it's the other way around though. McC is Stu and Bale is Flagg. I don't know. :lol:

TalkOnCorners wrote:I wonder if that report from the LA Leakers that King and Boone want McConaughey and Bale for the leads ever panned out.
It will begin shooting this year?

Regarding “The Stand,” writer-director Boone has had McConaughey in mind ever since he won the coveted job, which he inherited from filmmakers such as Ben Affleck, David Yates and Scott Cooper. While an individual familiar with the project told TheWrap that Boone initially envisioned McConaughey as Stu Redman, who's immune to the plague responsible for wiping out most of the world's population, an insider confirms that McConaughey is now being eyed to play Randall Flagg, who's the primary villain in King's epic tale of good vs. evil.

The Oscar-winning actor is Boone and author Stephen King's first-choice for the movie, and it'll likely be up to the actor to choose which role he wants to play, should his schedule allow him to be involved.
http://www.thewrap.com/matthew-mcconaug ... -for-gold/
TalkOnCorners wrote:Not sure. I don't recall the roles being mentioned. I think it's the other way around though. McC is Stu and Bale is Flagg. I don't know. :lol:
I'm in the middle of re-reading this right now and I can't get those choices out of my head.