The Stand (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Vader182 wrote:That's not what I mean. This is hard science fiction and fantasy that would be incredibly difficult for any director to pull off, regardless of their exposure to those genres as-is, let alone getting a guy whose only had two successful films, one of which is a pretty much a mystery drama and the other a crime drama that were tonally/thematically/narratively somewhat similar.

EDIT: Just going on about what an awesome choice he is without understanding the materiel is just... reasonless and without logic.

-Vader
He's made two amazing films. That's all the logic I need.
How is GBG and The Town amazing? The latter is a display of talent, yes, but follows nearly every convention within the crime genre and is widely believed to be a watered down version of Heat plus mostly one note performances from the cast.

Regardless, that isn't logic. Saying a director has two 'amazing' films that are crazy similar in a bunch of ways is a fantastic choice to direct something insanely different when he's shown absolutely no ability to successfully command the tone, atmosphere, and type of narrative such a film would require, is pretty much bereft of logic. You're basically saying I like two of his movies, so I think regardless what he does, it'll be good, which is kind of preposterous.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
How is GBG and The Town amazing? The latter is a display of talent, yes

-Vader
Gone Baby Gone isn't a display of talent?

Vader182 wrote:
How is GBG and The Town amazing? The latter is a display of talent, yes

-Vader
Gone Baby Gone isn't a display of talent?
It's good for him he's branching out and challenging himself, but that's not the same, but I focused on The Town because it's his more critically acclaimed and frequently viewed as the better film, but GBG has a fairly strong screenplay, but still, the first half of it plays very conventionally, something that's certainly a flaw of the film, and it's sometimes over/under directed. I love the movie, though.

My point is I don't see what's particularly 'amazing' about his first two films, especially so because large chunks of both are basically by the book convention and him stylistically mimicking other films from the same genre. The Town has absolutely nothing new in it, and GBG takes a while to stop being conventional. He's perhaps an interesting selection, but not a 'great choice' since there's absolutely no grounds to think he's creatively or practically capable of delivering a film so wildly separate than his other works (particularly being about as far away from his comfort zone as possible) with any level of great quality.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It's good for him he's branching out and challenging himself, but that's not the same, but I focused on The Town because it's his more critically acclaimed and frequently viewed as the better film, but GBG has a fairly strong screenplay, but still, the first half of it plays very conventionally, something that's certainly a flaw of the film, and it's sometimes over/under directed. I love the movie, though.

My point is I don't see what's particularly 'amazing' about his first two films, especially so because large chunks of both are basically by the book convention and him stylistically mimicking other films from the same genre. The Town has absolutely nothing new in it, and GBG takes a while to stop being conventional. He's perhaps an interesting selection, but not a 'great choice' since there's absolutely no grounds to think he's creatively or practically capable of delivering a film so wildly separate than his other works (particularly being about as far away from his comfort zone as possible) with any level of great quality.

-Vader
To be fair to Affleck it's not like he's proven he can't do it. It's not like he's done a genre or epic film like The Stand and failed. The guy is 2/2 for me and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll make a quality film until proven otherwise. Also he has proven to be a great writer now and is apparently penning The Stand as well.

Vader182 wrote:It's good for him he's branching out and challenging himself, but that's not the same, but I focused on The Town because it's his more critically acclaimed and frequently viewed as the better film, but GBG has a fairly strong screenplay, but still, the first half of it plays very conventionally, something that's certainly a flaw of the film, and it's sometimes over/under directed. I love the movie, though.

-Vader
To be fair to Affleck it's not like he's proven he can't do it. It's not like he's done a genre or epic film like The Stand and failed. The guy is 2/2 for me and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll make a quality film until proven otherwise. Also he has proven to be a great writer now and is apparently penning The Stand as well.
He hasn't proven he can't, but that doesn't mean he possesses the skills to do it, and he's shown little evidence he can. It can be very challenging for directors to having such a jarring shift in content. I hope it works out, I'd just have much preferred a much more capable individual. Affleck's directing career is still young, still mastering his craft. The flaws of The Town showed that to significantly. I dunno, I'd be way more comfortable with someone like Nolan or Ridley Scott doing this, since this has the potential to be insanely amazing.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:He hasn't proven he can't, but that doesn't mean he possesses the skills to do it, and he's shown little evidence he can. It can be very challenging for directors to having such a jarring shift in content. I hope it works out, I'd just have much preferred a much more capable individual. Affleck's directing career is still young, still mastering his craft. The flaws of The Town showed that to significantly. I dunno, I'd be way more comfortable with someone like Nolan or Ridley Scott doing this, since this has the potential to be insanely amazing.

-Vader
Duh!

In all seriousness I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The Stand can be classified as a post apocalyptic tale which incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy and horror.

It is basically divided into 3 parts -

- "Captain Trips": the accidental release of a biological weapon kills 99.4% of the world's population
- "On the Border": groups of survivor are drawn towards two different leaders - Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg
- "The Stand" : the final confrontation between good and evil

IMHO, this is way too massive to be adapted into a single movie. Yates was interested in adapting it into a trilogy - that's probably the approach with the best chance of success.

----------------

P.S - We already have a thread for this. http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =17&t=6816
Last edited by oracle86 on October 22nd, 2011, 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

oracle86 wrote:The Stand can be classified as a post apocalyptic tale which incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy and horror.

It is basically divided into 3 parts -

- "Captain Trips": the accidental release of a biological weapon kills 99.4% of the world's population
- "On the Border": groups of survivor are drawn towards two different leaders - Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg
- "The Stand" : the final confrontation between good and evil

IMHO, this is way too massive to be adapted into a single movie. Yates was interested in adapting it into a trilogy - that's probably the approach with the best chance of success.

P.S - We already have a thread for this.

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =17&t=6816
You said what I couldn't (due to tiredness, haha). This articulates my worries well.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Has anyone here actually read the novel and what it consists of in an intimate way?
Vader182 wrote:This is hard science fiction and fantasy that would be incredibly difficult for any director to pull off, regardless of their exposure to those genres
Well, I wouldn't call it a hard SFF novel. It is much more of a psychological study of how the human race will fare in a post-apocalyptic situation. Will people try to organise and develop themselves? Or will the world descend into anarchy? How much good or evil can charismatic individuals inspire in themselves and in their followers?

Initially, I thought that this was probably way too early in Affleck's career to do something as massive in scope as this. But you know, if he gets a great script and splits The Stand into two or [preferably] three films, he might just be able to do it..

David Kajganich has been hired to rewrite/write The Stand.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."