The Imitation Game (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Anne Thompson
@akstanwyck: Harvey Weinstein, who bought Imitation Game off 15 minutes, knew what he was doing: surefire Oscar frontrunner, especially Cumberbatch.

ThePlaylist ‏@ThePlaylist
Imitation Game; classically told British suspense drama. Fairly conventional, and occasionally flawed but absorbs in its winning last act.

ThePlaylist ‏@ThePlaylist
And Cumberbatch is reliably great. Should be a big crowd pleaser/legit contender.

Hollywood Elsewhere @wellshwood
“Imitation Game ,” which just broke at the Herzog, is aces — a brilliant war drama and touching human tragedy. Moving, crackerjack stuff.

Hollywood Elsewhere @wellshwood
Benedict Cumberbatch shoots right to the top of the Best Actor field, if that can be said to exist. Well, it does now. — from Colorado

BlairCo wrote:
TalkOnCorners wrote:I'm really curious if they fleshed out the part about Turing being gay. That part was quite weak in the script.
The cast and crew have assured that Turing's homosexuality will be in the film, but I don't think it'll be as big of a plot point as people think it'll be. It'll probably be more about Turing's achievements than his death.
I'm ok if the movie doesn't revolve around it but I hope it doesn't come across as just an afterthought because that's what it felt to me in the script.

Allstar wrote:Sasha Stone's and Billington's tweets should be taken with grains of salt.

Glad to hear positive reception though.
More like most of the tweets. I'll better wait for actual reviews.
TalkOnCorners wrote:This appears to be Weinstein's #1. I'm really curious if they fleshed out the part about Turing being gay. That part was quite weak in the script. I'm hoping for a Knightley nod.
Indeed. This is being released in the same weekend that The Artist, TKS, SLP and Philomena were released (Mid to late November). All of those movies ended being Harvey's main horses in their respective years.

theseeker9175 wrote:More like most of the tweets. I'll better wait for actual reviews.
Well, kind of but especially them. They're always the first to tweet and are generally insanely hyperbolic.

Anyway,
Michael Patterson ‏@Gort2
@AwardsDaily Mark Strong and Charles Dance also very, very good.

theseeker9175 wrote: Indeed. This is being released in the same weekend that The Artist, TKS, SLP and Philomena were released (Mid to late November). All of those movies ended being Harvey's main horses in their respective years.
I wonder where Big Eyes will now place on Weinstein's totem pole? If you asked me last year, I will confidently say that it's his #1. He was so excited for it and he was pimping it big time. :lol:

TalkOnCorners wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote: Indeed. This is being released in the same weekend that The Artist, TKS, SLP and Philomena were released (Mid to late November). All of those movies ended being Harvey's main horses in their respective years.
I wonder where Big Eyes will now place on Weinstein's totem pole? If you asked me last year, I will confidently say that it's his #1. He was so excited for it and he was pimping it big time. :lol:
Big Eyes is a gamble really. Early reactions have been leaning more to negative than positive, but the positive ones have been very positive. I can see being successful in picking up some awards (Word of mouth is that Amy Adams could possibly be the frontrunner for Best Actress), but it has some water to tread unlike The Imitation Game.

If Amy Adams gets nominated again for a mediocre Tim Burton flick she's the new Meryl Streep.

Allstar wrote:If Amy Adams gets nominated again for a mediocre Tim Burton flick she's the new Meryl Streep.
You're not that excited for Big Eyes? Especially when it's probably gonna be Burton's most artsy film since Ed Wood.

BlairCo wrote:
Allstar wrote:If Amy Adams gets nominated again for a mediocre Tim Burton flick she's the new Meryl Streep.
You're not that excited for Big Eyes? Especially when it's probably gonna be Burton's most artsy film since Ed Wood.
Waltz's performance is the only thing I'm interested in.

TalkOnCorners wrote:
He'll probably campaign the movoe for acting (Adams and Waltz) and techs. It must be the same for St Vincent & Eleanor Rigby.

Also lol Allstar. The Adams-Streep comparison does not compute. It's way too off, unless you're talking of 1970's Streep