Greatest and Worst Plot Twists of all time?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm curious. Can people tell me why they thought the ending to Unbreakable weakened the film? I thought it was brilliant and came back to the entire premise of the story.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about Usual Suspects, excellent twist. And I'm in the minority but I really likes the twist in the Village as well. That story is great I don't get the hate on it.

anonymity wrote:I'm curious. Can people tell me why they thought the ending to Unbreakable weakened the film? I thought it was brilliant and came back to the entire premise of the story.
I think that, while the twist itself was a great idea, it was to rushed. I personally had no time to "taste" it, to feel the emotions and that made it look random. This quote pretty much summarizes the quibbles I had:
I was not quite sold on it. It seems a little arbitrary, as if Shyamalan plucked it out of the air and tried to make it fit.
But as I said these are just quibbles, nothing too hard.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Best-

Inglourious Basterds

Allstar wrote:Best-

Inglourious Basterds
I'm sure NO ONE saw that coming :lol:
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

I honestly saw the "The Usual Suspects" twist miles away. So obvious and overplayed in my opinion.

The Others
Saw
Fight Club

I don't even remember the end of The Others. I remember being surprised but it was a long time ago. I was young. Only seen it once.

Falcone wrote:
cassm wrote:Worst:

Shutter Island
While worst is an over statement, seconded. Totally predictable in this age of twisting plots. It would have been better if they had been more open ended, making the viewer wonder whether Leo had gone crazy or not.
I read the book before I saw the movie, and I didn't see that twist at all in the book, totally shocked me. The movie kept giving away obvious hints at it.

CroissantRoll wrote:
Falcone wrote: While worst is an over statement, seconded. Totally predictable in this age of twisting plots. It would have been better if they had been more open ended, making the viewer wonder whether Leo had gone crazy or not.
I read the book before I saw the movie, and I didn't see that twist at all in the book, totally shocked me. The movie kept giving away obvious hints at it.
In all fairness it's ten times harder to conceal a twist in a film then it is in a book. Mainly because you can see character mannerisms and hints a lot easier because you are provided with a visual.

Also. Am I alone in thinking that a twist can be good even if you see it coming?

I never predicted the surprise twist with Fight Club but with repeat watches Ive seen how many clues there were and almost feel silly for not seeing it coming.