Oscar Nominations 2010

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What are you most surprised about (good or bad)? Your thoughts on the nominations, in general?

I'd have to say that I am very happy to see a Best Cinematography nod for Bruno Delbonnel for his amazing work on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I honestly thought that the it had no chance, especially since it came out during the summer and because it's up against more "prestigious" films (just look at its competition).

I'm also happy that Avatar wasn't nominated for Best Original Screenplay because, well, it's far from original.

Finally, congratulations to Hans Zimmer for getting a nomination for the Sherlock Holmes score. That was the only good part of that movie (besides the Inception trailer beforehand)!

You can find the full list of nominations here: http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2010/02/02/os ... announced/

apw
The Blind Side - Best Picture :crazy:

District 9 and The Blind Side for Best Picture? Was this year really that weak? I guess this 10 nominations thing wasn't such a good idea after all.

Bob
This is one of the weakest years after a long time. Just to think that Tarantino would've got a nomination for best movie even if it was just 5 films makes me realize how weak the year really is. Not that Basterds are bad, they are really good but I prefer "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill" by a long shot and they didn't get it.

Very shooked that The blind side take the place of Inglorius Basterds in the best picture spot. But very happy about "UP" in the main cathegories. Of course, only in a parallel dimention, an animated movie could win an oscar for best original screenplay or best movie.
I still can't understand how it's possible that Avatar got nominations in Cinematography and Art direction.
And the fact that Public Enemies were totally ignore in the costume and art direction nods. Nathan made a wonderful job in it.
I really would like to see Michael Giacchino win the best score award for Up.I love what he did for the pixar movies. (he already won the Golden globe and the Grammy so I have some hope).

Chris Nolan never got a nomination except for the script of Memento in 2000, but he didn't get that either, and I don't think that I'm the only one who thinks that he deserved one Oscar-award at least. Or a goddamn NOMINATION at least. Not even for The Prestige, for God's sake?? Cameron makes a stupid, cheesy movie with full 3D and he gets a tons of nominations? What the f*?

apw
James Cameron has never been nominated for his writing. Christopher Nolan has.

No. NO. NOOOOOO!!!! No Moon noms at all? Fook. D:
Moon should've been nominated instead of Avatar. Moon was also anti-corporation but it didn't beat you over the head with its obviousness and it wasn't hypocritical.

But I hope Hans Zimmer wins best score for Sherlock Holmes. It was brilliant.

DHOPW42 wrote:Chris Nolan never got a nomination except for the script of Memento in 2000, but he didn't get that either, and I don't think that I'm the only one who thinks that he deserved one Oscar-award at least. Or a goddamn NOMINATION at least. Not even for The Prestige, for God's sake?? Cameron makes a stupid, cheesy movie with full 3D and he gets a tons of nominations? What the f*?
:clap:
Don't worry, Nolas will have his moment sooner or later. He is a wonderful filmaker. He is still young for the academy.

chee wrote:No. NO. NOOOOOO!!!! No Moon noms at all? Fook. D:
Moon should've been nominated instead of Avatar. Moon was also anti-corporation but it didn't beat you over the head with its obviousness and it wasn't hypocritical.

But I hope Hans Zimmer wins best score for Sherlock Holmes. It was brilliant.
Moon was very good, but had some flaws and fingerprints of an obvious first time director IMO. Avatar is wayyy more deserving. Blindside and D9? Eh... no.

I am hoping UP wins for score. Sherlock Holmes was laughable. The music is over-the-top ridiculous. A case of ego over control.