Arrested Development

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
cooldude wrote:'Arrested Development' Officially Renewed for Season 5 at Netflix
The Bluths are returning to Netflix.

The streaming giant has finally confirmed that it's ordered a fifth season of the cult comedy. Creator Mitchell Hurwitz and the entire series regular cast — including Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi, David Cross and Alia Shawkat — will return for the new episodes, which will premiere in 2018.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ix-1004529

Im hoping the cast will be way more free for this one cause last season the scheduling conflicts did affect the overall quality, in my opinion.

Nevertheless, totally excited for this. :thumbup:
I give them credit for more or less writing that issue into the season. Made it real meta.

Granted, I'm one of like 3 humans who really enjoyed season 4 and thought it was an innovative direction for a comedy series.
I thought it was totally cool too that they incorporated that in, but ehhh, the season could have been so much better. The fluidity and interactions between the cast were incredibly awkward and just didn’t work.

But I probably enjoyed season 4 more than season 3, so I'd say I didn't dislike it.

cooldude wrote:
Cilogy wrote: I give them credit for more or less writing that issue into the season. Made it real meta.

Granted, I'm one of like 3 humans who really enjoyed season 4 and thought it was an innovative direction for a comedy series.
I thought it was totally cool too that they incorporated that in, but ehhh, the season could have been so much better. The fluidity and interactions between the cast were incredibly awkward and just didn’t work.

But I probably enjoyed season 4 more than season 3, so I'd say I didn't dislike it.
Yeah same. Season 4 also got better with multiple viewings in my opinion. But still nowhere close to 1 & 2.

Even though the way the made/showed us season 4 was new and refreshing kind of way, i'd still prefer it if they just go the more traditional way like how they did the first two seasons. But yeah, that all depends on the actors scheduling...

Arrested Development: Why Mae Whitman was supposed to be recast

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/09/couch-surfi ... velopment/
“The best part of it is they were originally going to keep replacing the actress that played Ann, just so you were always on your toes,” Whitman reveals. “And then they stuck with me, which I feel like is a real insult. They were like, ‘No, no, you’re making the whole not-memorable thing work, we’ll just go with that.'”
I mean... her?

And

If Ron Howard has started doing the voiceover that has to mean season 5 release date is near. The wait is too much, lol.

Just watched the "remix" and its pretty horrible. And I say that as a fan of the original season 4.

The running gags and jokes dont work like they did in the original non-linear version.

And holy fucking shit there is way too much Ron Howard narration. He virtually narrates the setup all the way through to the punchline. Too much telling that takes away from the showing.

Ugh

Reading that NYT interview and listening to the audio of Jessica Walter cry about Jeffrey Tambor’s verbal harassment crushed me. She clearly was hurt by the incident and it was disgusting how none of the guys stood up for her and were questioning the legitimacy of her pain. Profoundly disappointing. I doubt I can enjoy the show the same way anymore. I’m just gonna pretend that Jeffrey Tambor doesn’t exist.

Finished this first part of season 5, and this show is hardly a shadow of its former self.

It has no story. Its not funny. It relies even more heavily on call back gags to the original seasons, which makes zero sense, because longtime fans are surely sick of it, and people new to the show don't understand why it's supposed to be funny.

Bateman and Arnett have lost their charm. Nearly everyone else was just annoying. Sex jokes and sexual refernces are cringeworthy when concerning Tambor's character, considering his real life debacle. De Rossi is BARELY in it. I mean, if this is the first half of the season, I dont know what the appeal is to continue.

Alia Shawkat, as usual, is the standout (and cute AF).

Haven't finished the latest season yet but it was hilarious(ly awful) how they made Lindsay/De Rossi work in this season.

I watched the first three episodes of season 5, I could barely get through it, everything about it was so jarring - teetering on borderline unwatchable. Honestly, I thought it was so awful, it actually made me reconsider if the original was any good lol.

I don’t know if I’m interested in watching the rest it feels like a chore continuing.

so, second half of season 5 (why tf do people do this) just released

it is unwatchable

it's boring, it's unfunny, and Ron Howard's narration has become such a meme now that it's unbearable to listen to

what a fucking shame that this show just absolutely tanked in quality, season 1 and 2 were just brilliant in such a refreshingly hilarious way, but now this is barely a shadow of its former self

when shows like The Office or Seinfeld went on for too along, they were at least somewhat amusing, and they pulled the plug at a semi-reasonable time

but this ... this is just embarrassing

fuck dude