Fight Club (1999)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What are your thoughts on it?

I went in expecting a movie about fighting... I came out a new man.

fun popcorn flick.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:fun popcorn flick.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:fun popcorn flick.
I have failed you Iwatch, I have failed you.

Never heard of it.

Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: someone yells "stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight.

If I wouldnt have seen some of nolan's films I would have to say that this is the best film I have ever saw.

It's an overly adolescent vehicle to get teens and college kids philosophically aware whilst shocking adults for similar reasons. Too much swearing, too much violence, too much crude humor, that while yes, it is (mostly) reinforced with a strong thematic backbone, the main point of much of it is simply to entertain, and feeling as though I've outgrown much of that in film or otherwise, just feels rather irrelevant now. Yeah, we get it, consumerism is bad and we should make an identity from ourselves grounded in reality and our place in it rather than from all the stuff we keep purchasing longing for instruction and insight from sofas and jackets.

It's a much dumber, more crass The Social Network- a superior film in every aspect by a very wide margin.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It's an overly adolescent vehicle to get teens and college kids philosophically aware whilst shocking adults for similar reasons. Too much swearing, too much violence, too much crude humor, that while yes, it is (mostly) reinforced with a strong thematic backbone, the main point of much of it is simply to entertain, and feeling as though I've outgrown much of that in film or otherwise, just feels rather irrelevant now. Yeah, we get it, consumerism is bad and we should make an identity from ourselves grounded in reality and our place in it rather than from all the stuff we keep purchasing longing for instruction and insight from sofas and jackets.

It's a much dumber, more crass The Social Network- a superior film in every aspect by a very wide margin.

-Vader
Just...just...leave.

Mr. Caine wrote:
Vader182 wrote:It's an overly adolescent vehicle to get teens and college kids philosophically aware whilst shocking adults for similar reasons. Too much swearing, too much violence, too much crude humor, that while yes, it is (mostly) reinforced with a strong thematic backbone, the main point of much of it is simply to entertain, and feeling as though I've outgrown much of that in film or otherwise, just feels rather irrelevant now. Yeah, we get it, consumerism is bad and we should make an identity from ourselves grounded in reality and our place in it rather than from all the stuff we keep purchasing longing for instruction and insight from sofas and jackets.

-Vader
Just...just...leave.
But much of what I said isn't really debatable, sure my personal judgements and reaction on that premise are, but much of it isn't and it's... I mean, if you think crassness is a good quality for a film to have ridiculous amounts of, that's cool I guess.

-Vader