Fight Club (1999)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Mostly. He does what all great seducers do- present truths: "the things you end, end up owning you" then lace it with dangerous propaganda. Tyler's marketing truths that bring you in just to extrapolate that to extremes- making the viewer an accomplice in its own dangerous method. Fincher now thinks (as has been a huge criticism of the film for me) he didn't quite make the film openly ironic enough considering how just about zero people understand the film's making fun of itself and almost everything presented is meant to be undesirable, cautionary, and dangerous. Maybe that's because the violence and humor, which the film kind of warns against people enjoying, is presented in an entertainingly rebellious way.

-Vader
You are too smart Vads. Fuuuuuuck. My mind just got owned.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Vader and Partham I agree with both of you. I didn't wanna take the time to write something more in depth. I always thought it was clear it was suppose to be ironic. I mean Tyler looks at a poster of a model an says that's not what real men look like... cut to Pitt standing up after a fight looking like a damn sculpture :lol:

edit: and yeah you don't wann be like Ed either. He just sits on the toliet all day ording crap from IKEA. Funny he is ordering useless crap while taking a crap.
Say Girl

Eer... It's Chuck Palahniuk, of course it was meant to be ironic. :roll:

m4st4 wrote:Eer... It's Chuck Palahniuk, of course it was meant to be ironic. :roll:
dude sucks tho.. he even came out and said how much better the film was. But I do give him credit for the overall story outline. That book was not very good tho. I could prob read the book faster then the runtime of the film.
Say Girl

Redsmile wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Eer... It's Chuck Palahniuk, of course it was meant to be ironic. :roll:
dude sucks tho.. he even came out and said how much better the film was. But I do give him credit for the overall story outline. That book was not very good tho. I could prob read the book faster then the runtime of the film.
You did not say that. :facepalm: Chuck Palahniuk is probably my favorite working writer, I have all his books.

FUCK I hate this site. I just wrote all this shit about Chuck and when I clicked submit it fucking deleted it.

Anyway lol yes I did just say that. I read all of his books up to Rant(which might be my fav of his) but I couldn't finish anything after that tho. I loved him in high school but looking back now most of his stuff seems juvinile.

I still have fond memories of Survivor tho. And Lullaby isn't bad. And some of the short stories in Haunted were great. I mean Guts is a classic. I didn't like the acual plot of the book tho. It just seems like it is meant to gross people out. Same thing goes for Choke and Invisible Monsters. Some of those chapters in those books are great but like I said I feel like most of is stuff is just about the shock factor.

Tho I would love to see Survivor on the big screen. If done right it could be one hell of a film.

And also night sigs m4 :twothumbsup:

edit.. nice sigs not night.. it's early for me. :lol:
Say Girl

^ Fair enough. ;) Just wanted to hear your reasoning. I like the guy, I like his writing, he inspires me greatly and often tries to change (one would say improve) his writing style (Pygmy was insane).

Thanks, I like my sig too. :-D

m4st4 wrote:^ Fair enough. ;) Just wanted to hear your reasoning. I like the guy, I like his writing, he inspires me greatly and often tries to change (one would say improve) his writing style (Pygmy was insane).

Yeah after Diary he really changed his style up. I forgot about that one. I read about half of it then lost my copy. It was ok but I wasn't really hooked by it.

And just so you know my fav writer is Bret Easton Ellis so I don't have alot of room to judge :lol:

You read any of his stuff? If not I would say check out Less Then Zero. Great book. The fact he wrote it while being so young is impressive.
Say Girl

Redsmile wrote:
m4st4 wrote:^ Fair enough. ;) Just wanted to hear your reasoning. I like the guy, I like his writing, he inspires me greatly and often tries to change (one would say improve) his writing style (Pygmy was insane).

Yeah after Diary he really changed his style up. I forgot about that one. I read about half of it then lost my copy. It was ok but I wasn't really hooked by it.

And just so you know my fav writer is Bret Easton Ellis so I don't have alot of room to judge :lol:

You read any of his stuff? If not I would say check out Less Then Zero. Great book. The fact he wrote it while being so young is impressive.
Well I know the guy, heard about his stuff... but I'm currently all over Thomas Pynchon so probably after that, thanks man!