Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Robert Rodriguez had revealed earlier this year that financing for Sin City 2 had been secured and production could begin in the near future – once he and his collaborator (original Sin City author Frank Miller) had put the finishing touches on the screenplay. And now Academy Award-winner William Monahan (The Departed) has been brought on to add the finishing touches to the most recent Sin City 2 draft penned by Miller. The tentative plan is for production on the film to commence once the shooting script has been locked. Rodriguez and Miller will shoot Sin City 2 in the same digital black-and-white style as its predecessor, to better imitate the black ink drawing aesthetic of the latter’s original comics.

Miller’s “A Dame to Kill For” has long been rumored as the potential basis for the second Sin City movie. Here is an official synopsis for that original comic book:
Enter Dwight McCarthy, a clean-living photographer who tries to avoid trouble because he knows what he’s capable of. His tactics don’t do him much good when a girl from his past (who he can’t say no to) shows up and professes her love for him. When he finds out she’s in way over her head, it looks as though trouble has found him. What’s going to happen? You guessed it: people get hurt.
Using “A Dame to Kill For” would also allow for the likes of Dwight (Clive Owen), Marv (Mickey Rourke), and Nancy Callahan (Jessica Alba) to reprise their roles from the first film – though it’s possible that characters like Gail (Rosario Dawson) and Miho (Devon Aoki) could end up either making a brief cameo or playing expanded roles in the movie version.

Source: Heat Vision

in the novels Dwight has a different face at his chronological begining, then changes into the clive owen version for later stories.

wasn't Johnny Depp attached to this years ago?

He was but now I don't know if it's been just a rumor or Robert really approached him with a proposition.

Depp [surprisingly] doesn't have any projects in the pipeline other than Dark Shadows, according to IMDb. So if he still wants to be in this movie, he could.

Everything's gone quiet again on Sin City 2 since TF reported in August that the project seemed to be back on track.

However, if comic-book guru Frank Miller is to be believed, production will begin to roll early in 2012.

“Robert Rodriguez and I are finishing off the script and could be shooting as early as this spring,” Miller told MTV.

Miller also revealed that there has only been “sporadic contact” between him and Rodriguez in the years since Sin City was made but that they started collaborating again “since this project started coming alive”.

“Sin City 2 is primarily an adaptation of the book A Dame To Kill For," Miller added.

“It also features the short story, Just Another Saturday Night and two new stories. One involves Jessica Alba's character, Nancy Callahan, that I came up with for the movie in order to tie things together and make it be more united with the first.”

That revelation means there's just one more title to be revealed, as Miller told San Diego Comic Con that The Long Bad Night would be one of the other new stories.

The big question is whether previous cast members will return for a sequel?

Alba seems likely given that she loves to work with Rodriguez (Machete, Spy Kids 4) but Rourke previously seemed lukewarm about returning to the role of Marv and having turned down a chance to star in The Expendables 2 may stick to his guns.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

I loved the first one so much, and I still do. This will be great I'm sure.

Mason wrote:I loved the first one so much, and I still do. This will be great I'm sure.
:twothumbsup:

Official casting begins next week, and shooting, in all senses, starts in the summer.
:twothumbsup:
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."