Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oku
Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 10:43 pm
Pioneerr wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 5:58 pm
Listened to the TLJ score twice, in the cinema that is. It's ok but nowhere near special, just like TLJ itself. Listened to the BR2049 score numerous times at home, it's great. Really great. I just don't understand the academy.
Nah, The Academy got it mostly right. This soundtrack's great but Dunkirk's score and Greenwood's score are far superior. It'd also be bad for Zimmer's vote to be split among Academy voters. Too bad that Desplat will almost certainly win.
Bacon with the sizzlingly hot takes today :lol:

I mean, I love BR2049's score (it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite of the year), but I also feel it borrows a good bit from Vangelis' score and the ones recognized (for the most part) are much more original.

Havoc1st wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 9:41 pm
4N Legend wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 7:51 pm
Wasn't the soundtrack for this disqualified for some nonsensical reason?
Wasn't it Arrival's soundtrack? Unless i missed something about BR2049's soundtrack being disqualified.
No, you are correct, it is Arrival.
So there's not a real good reason why 2049 missed out. Shame then

Instead of PTA Denis Villeneauve shouldve been nominated. This film is totally got robbed by Phantom Thread, which has been driving me nuts

SINCEPTION wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:31 am
Instead of PTA Denis Villeneauve shouldve been nominated. This film is totally got robbed by Phantom Thread, which has been driving me nuts
Why specifically Phantom Thread? I’d say they should’ve created a ten movies list or drop somehing else instead.

m4st4 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:36 am
SINCEPTION wrote:
Why specifically Phantom Thread? I’d say they should’ve created a ten movies list or drop somehing else instead.
I personally think there shouldn't be limited amount in any categories, especially in performances. However, I personally don't think Phantom Thread was oscar worthy overall.

I find this all fascinating. How do you even directly compare the direction of Phantom Thread to 2049?

They're both directed beautifully, and they're each worthy of accolades. But it's a packed year in that category. We're spoiled for choice....and guys, that's a good thing.

-Vader

SINCEPTION wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:49 am
I personally think there shouldn't be limited amount in any categories, especially in performances. However, I personally don't think Phantom Thread was oscar worthy overall.

SINCEPTION wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:49 am
m4st4 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:36 am
SINCEPTION wrote:
If there isn't a limited amount there would be hundreds of nominees in some categories. I think the previous nomination system (with 10 nominees) worked pretty well in 2009 and 2010. There was sci-fi fare like District 9 and Inception, animation like Up and TS3, female-directed films like The Hurt Locker, The Kids Are All Right, etc.

PTA deserves a nom and possibly a win every time he puts out a film.