Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Scott's basically out of his mind. Doesn't mean he stops making good movies, but still.

It's hardly a controversial statement.

Inb4 resident Villeneuve fanboys tear down Blade Runner, because fuck Scott for expressing his own opinion.£

yeah, this movie is at least 15 minutes too long

Master Virgo wrote:Inb4 resident Villeneuve fanboys tear down Blade Runner, because fuck Scott for expressing his own opinion.£
-NowWhereWasI

Lol, yeah the movie was long. Though it wasn't a problem for me personally, I can see how that might have bothered other viewers.

Blade Runner is a masterpiece in all versions, if only for its imperfections. 2049 tried a little too hard to be "perfect" in every single aspect, except one crucial one: run time. A good 20 minutes needed trimming. I remember how Scott would talk of the sequel with such love that I always thought he'd be the one directing it, and had he I think it would have rivalled what he accomplished back in '82 for the passion of the story alone.

I doubt Scott would've done a better Blade Runner sequel tbh. He kinda settles with making average films nowadays.

7212017 wrote:I doubt Scott would've done a better Blade Runner sequel tbh. He kinda settles with making average films nowadays.
Scott doesn't seem to be able to distinguish a good script from a bad one.

BlairCo wrote:For me, 2049 is better than the original. I admire everything that Blade Runner ultimately influenced after its release, and I'm a sucker for big dystopian cities with beautiful colours, but there are moments when it's devoid of emotion when I'm supposed to be feeling the pain. The third act becomes a Horror house movie, and when a movie decides to confuse what I should be feeling, it is utterly alienating. Noir is such a tricky genre with me; the aesthetic pleases me, but it's all style over substance. Feel free to challenge my opinion with that as I am open to being persuaded. I've seen Blade Runner probably 7 times and it has different meaning for me every time I got back and watch it, but it only took me one viewing of 2049 for me to fall in love. There is so much more going on emotionally for these new set of characters as well as an undercurrent of emotion at work continuing from the first movie. As far as length goes, it could have been a tighter movie and not have as many lingering shots to make up that runtime, but Villenueve is such a master at creating tension even within those pauses during dialogue, allowing us time to digest narrative revelations.
thats because Denis ties everything into a neat little bow, he reveals the twists, and pushes the emotions through music and shot choices. the original doesn't reveal its cards, it clearly has its secrets, but it takes some digging. this is why imo the original is so timeless, it has rich depths and revels in the mystery which makes it so poignant as a noir.

i love Denis but lately i feel he is so on the nose in his craft, this is why Incendies is my favorite movie of his.