Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
The pause and use of close ups to the stunned face of Pat on their first meeting alone demonstrates the spark between them, at least what he felt towards her. Later, he struggles with facing the reality he's attracted and almost bewitched by this woman, notably as he's struck by seeing her naked back. He's scared by the intimacy he feels towards her, and this is the primary reason she did all this in the first place- thus why she chose dance, something that will likely spur real emotion from him towards her, something she obviously wants. The development of their relationship is explored patiently and with care throughout the film, which is something unique to itself compared to typical indie fare. The relationships and catharsis felt towards the end are earned, because of the deliberate manner in which they evolve. From Pat reading the letter to his charisma towards training going into the climax, it becomes explicit Pat embraced his feelings for her, meaning the entire third act of the film we already know he's chosen her. I didn't think the 'ending' was 'predictable' since the film directly indicates to you who he's chosen.

Having been in a similar situation involving women before, it was almost uncomfortable for me to see how accurately it depicts struggling to move on from a serious relationship with someone obviously magnetic.
-Vader
:clap: Well worded. The last sentence of your post sums up a big part of the reason why I think most people will have to have some years under their belt before they really love this flick. No disrespect to the younger guys.

And for me, the whole sports angle wasn't as interesting. That's just not my groove. But I enjoyed some of it
Last edited by TehBatGetsBraked on January 24th, 2013, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sigs???

banepants wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
The pause and use of close ups to the stunned face of Pat on their first meeting alone demonstrates the spark between them, at least what he felt towards her. Later, he struggles with facing the reality he's attracted and almost bewitched by this woman, notably as he's struck by seeing her naked back. He's scared by the intimacy he feels towards her, and this is the primary reason she did all this in the first place- thus why she chose dance, something that will likely spur real emotion from him towards her, something she obviously wants. The development of their relationship is explored patiently and with care throughout the film, which is something unique to itself compared to typical indie fare. The relationships and catharsis felt towards the end are earned, because of the deliberate manner in which they evolve. From Pat reading the letter to his charisma towards training going into the climax, it becomes explicit Pat embraced his feelings for her, meaning the entire third act of the film we already know he's chosen her. I didn't think the 'ending' was 'predictable' since the film directly indicates to you who he's chosen.

Having been in a similar situation involving women before, it was almost uncomfortable for me to see how accurately it depicts struggling to move on from a serious relationship with someone obviously magnetic.
-Vader

:clap: Well worded. The last sentence of your post sums up a big part of the reason why I think most people will have to have some years under their belt before they really love this flick. No disrespect to the younger guys.

Ehhh, real life isn't going to resemble cliche romantic movie situations with a manic pixie dream girl.

Spoilers obviously....

1. It's good to lie especially when you have your own ulterior motives.
2. If you're not caught in the first lie, then lie again.
3. If you can't go to the stadium to support your team because you got into a fight, then send your bipolar son.
Enough for now. Your turn...
Last edited by DoubleD on January 26th, 2013, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged topic and added spoiler tag.

TheExtractorCobb wrote:Spoilers obviously....

3. If you can't go to the stadium to support your team because you got into a fight, then send your bipolar son.
Way to miss David O. Russell's message

banepants wrote:
TheExtractorCobb wrote:Spoilers obviously....

Way to miss David O. Russell's message
And that is? I'm sorry. I like David O. Russell as much as the next guy, but this was a scenario where he took a young adult novel and tried making something mainstream, but sadly dishonest. He's trying to make something more commercial. It's a movie for Middle America. I could take my family to see this since Pat and Tiffany rarely do anything too alienating or polarizing. I'm okay with a happy ending, but how we get there...not so much. It's harmless, inoffensive, cliched, contrived, predictable, comfortable fluff. It's comfort food. It's not interested in delving into things painful, honest, challenging, or real especially in that 2nd half. Forget questions of authenticity regarding mental illness, this movie isn't at all how people act or at least should act. It's like movieland world. These aren't real people. Their movie characters. Antagonizing brothers to characters who just got out of a hospital, the only philly cop in town who hits on a fellow cop's widowed wife, and a token black character who just is there to push the story along and say "black it up Pat". It's really hackneyed writing on Russell's part. Shockingly so actually. The film tries validating the character's lies. The female characters are poorly written. One is barely heard, usually making something in the kitchen and the other has an incredible low self-esteem that she has to try to lie and manipulate to get Pat in the 2nd half who is the typical movie male protagonist oblivious to this girl until the 3rd act. Most of the time he's just mean to her claiming she is crazier than he is. Really man? She just said she's gonna do you a favor and you're gonna insult her. That can't be due to your bipolar disorder.

As for Tiffany, I don't care if she thinks she knows what's best for him. This is his marriage. It's not a joke. She can't impose what she thinks is best. I can appreciate she wants to get what she wants now in her life, but she has to be respectful of what he wants. She shouldn't lie to do it. If she was lying purely as only a friend, I might be able to tolerate it. It would be different maybe if she didn't have an ulterior motive. It's what he wants that is important. Only in a movieland would he take her lie as sweet and nice. When she says she is okay with her sexuality, it's refreshing, but the film bails on that and she seems like she uses sex in times of loneliness to gain attention or as the psychiatrist would say a friend. She wouldn't be a whore if she just liked sex, but she is one, because he wants things in return. God forbid we have a female character who just likes sex. I guess cause we would have to scorn her for it so let's add another psychological motivation. Instead she does it because she's depressed. Tiffany might be the most misogynistic character I've seen in sometime and yet I felt bad for her. She is gonna love him so much and he's too self centered and rude that she won't get it back. You want her to gain some confidence. Throughout the film she's metaphorically saying "Hey! I'm here! Hello?" Usually depressed individuals like herself are also not happy with themselves so I found it odd when she said she likes herself. Why she's after a substitute teacher who lives with his parents, is bipolar, got released recently from a mental hospital, and is trying to patch things up with his wife, I will never know. He treats her terribly. Yea he defends her in front of that guy, but only to get what he wants. It seems like a lot of drama for a young girl who already has her issues. As I said before, she seems to be invisible to him. Yea, he looks her in certain ways because she flaunts her stuff to get his attention. He is human. He is gonna look.

While he's self centered, he's oddly also a walking doormat for Nikki, Tiffany, and his family. He's lied to, manipulated, and used. He also doesn't need the drama of a girl who just recently lost her husband and is in a state of depression. When do these two start to like one another? Through the lame dance montage? This relationship wouldn't last long. It certainly wouldn't be healthy and that has nothing to do with their mental illness. Her depression was before even Tommy died, so getting Pat doesn't help at all. I know he's okay with her lying about the letter, but who is to say she won't lie about other things. Also I know many are saying "Of course. Who better to be with Pat then someone else mentally struggling?", but I really don't think that's the case. One of them has to be the rock and I guess that might be Tiffany, but her low self-esteem doesn't help. She won't be able to carry it on her own. Watch Blue Valentine. That is a relationship falling apart, but those are real people.

We have to buy that Pat is better simply because he says so. We have maybe the most cartoonish dad in a movie history. This guy wasn't sharp. He believes in superstitions. He sends his bipolar son to a game when he should have known there was a chance he would get into a fight. If Pat Sr. got into a fight there's a chance his son would. He only supports his son when it's to his mutual benefit. The characters in this film are incredibly selfish. Who knows what would happen if Pat and Tiffany didn't score high enough.

Pat: Hey dad sorry about the...
Pat Sr: Get the f*ck out of my face. Loser.

We have two beautiful movie stars to get the asses in the seats for the people who don't see movies when they don't recognize the actors. Also it helps their attractive so whatever they do, it will be easier for audience members to swallow. "Oh he's bipolar. Good thing he looks like Bradley Cooper and most of his episodes are easily provoked and that someone without bipolar disorder might do the same thing." Or with Tiffany "Ah man she's depressed. I wouldn't want to deal with...oh wait it just makes her sleep with guys and she looks like Jennifer Lawrence." We got Jacki Weaver for the women 55 and older. She is actually playing the most sympathetic character although her nomination is baffling as she had nothing to do. We got Robert De Niro for the older audience. He's my favorite actor, but saying this is his better work than he's done lately is the most faint praise I've heard. He's solid. That's about it. Cooper for the Hangover crowd and Jennifer Lawrence who now not only a talented actress, but a bona fide movie star. Hell the movie sells itself for Harvey Weinstein.

The comeback of De Niro
Bradley Cooper branches out
Hunger Games teen sensation Jennifer Lawrence solidifies herself as an movie star and a actress(yea I know she already had Winter's Bone)
The feel good movie of the year
The little film that could(not that little though with the likes of Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro. Weaver's casting is the only thing not distracting. Only one I kind of bought as someone from Philly)

Lastly I said it was unoffensive, but the more I think about it....it is kind of offensive. This whole cutesy "We're all a little crazy sometimes" is an annoying way of trivializing bipolar disorder.