It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Charlie banged the waitress, lmao. I feel like anything is possible now.

Good lord, tonight’s episode had me in stitches. I can’t stop imagining the mess Dennis Day is gonna be. That might be the one that gets IASIP banned from TV. I am living for that shit show, lol.

Dee Day was absolutely gold, that might have been their finest episode in ages. Mac as Taiwan Tammy was so funny

Since National Coming Out Day was yesterday this feels like the right time to revisit this scene:

IASIP is one of my favourite shows because its unlike any other sitcom I’ve ever seen. It’s dark comedy that cross the line on a regular basis, only to step back and offer an explanation on why they had to cross it. ISAIP started at the height of offensive comedy popularity — there are some edgy whiteboy jokes from earlier seasons that would not be considered acceptable today — but the show learned that times have changed and adopted its content to fit that. All the main characters are despicable human beings that are mocked repeatedly as pathetic losers. It is not about being offensive for the sake of comedy. The show wraps itself around important social issues in its own twisted way. It’s embarrassing the amount of edgelords that haven’t comprehended that yet. I remember them moaning so much about this scene and pushing back against PC culture, yada yada yada.

This scene was one of the most beautiful moment of TV last year. There is a fine line between tragedy and comedy and a lot of Mac’s comedy centres around his struggle with his sexuality. But I don’t think him finally coming to terms with his sexuality and how that conflicts with his strong Catholic faith was meant as a joke. Dennis asked him whether he was more gay than Catholic, and Mac responded that he doesn’t know, they are at war with each other. The dance choreography expressed his inner struggle with sexuality and religion (the female dancer embodies god) as a human tragedy and I applaud Rob McElhenney for addressing it with real emotion, in a way the show hasn’t before for anything.