AMC‘s Breaking Bad

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Joeyjojo72 wrote:yes, if you are still rooting for Walt AND you like todd you have some issues. if you dont feel guilty about it you are likely a "functional" sociopath and should avoid long term relationships with so-called "normals". glad you enjoy the show!
God dammit, you're right. I never thought about it, but thanks to you, I just realized that rooting for a fictional anti-hero in a popular TV show means you're a sociopath. I am awake.

Don't know which one of p0g or Alberto to quote in agreement with and can't be bothered/don't know how to do both.

Lol, I really don't understand how can anyone be rooting for Walt and especially, how can anyone like Todd. I kind of still like Walt sometimes, but only sometimes and mainly when he's not into his "Heisenberg" mood. I get that he's sympathetic (or at least he used to be) and badass, but I think he's gone way too far. And I'm not calling you guys sociopaths or anything, but I just don't see any reasonable thoughts on why it is okay to root for a person like Walt lol.

Ruth wrote:Lol, I really don't understand how can anyone be rooting for Walt and especially, how can anyone like Todd. I kind of still like Walt sometimes, but only sometimes and mainly when he's not into his "Heisenberg" mood. I get that he's sympathetic (or at least he used to be) and badass, but I think he's gone way too far. And I'm not calling you guys sociopaths or anything, but I just don't see any reasonable thoughts on why it is okay to root for a person like Walt lol.
I don't really root for Walt anymore, although I used to so I'd like to see him go with at least some dignity. Todd is just cool, obviously shooting the kid is bad and upsetting and in real life I would never forgive him for it, but Gus killed kids as well and a lot of people including myself thinks he was one of the best characters on the show. I wouldn't be sad to see Todd go just like I wasn't sad to see Gus go, but both of these characters are just very cool, very interesting characters.

Ruth wrote:Lol, I really don't understand how can anyone be rooting for Walt and especially, how can anyone like Todd. I kind of still like Walt sometimes, but only sometimes and mainly when he's not into his "Heisenberg" mood. I get that he's sympathetic (or at least he used to be) and badass, but I think he's gone way too far. And I'm not calling you guys sociopaths or anything, but I just don't see any reasonable thoughts on why it is okay to root for a person like Walt lol.
^THIS

regarding the underlined part: they may not be sociopaths but I think they should get their heads read, respectfully yo.

christophmac wrote:
I don't really root for Walt anymore, although I used to so I'd like to see him go with at least some dignity. Todd is just cool, obviously shooting the kid is bad and upsetting and in real life I would never forgive him for it, but Gus killed kids as well and a lot of people including myself thinks he was one of the best characters on the show. I wouldn't be sad to see Todd go just like I wasn't sad to see Gus go, but both of these characters are just very cool, very interesting characters.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's possible for Walt to redeem himself, but I'd like to see him at least try in the end.

I can understand people rooting for Walt since we've had 5 seasons to get to know him - what really surprises me is the amount of people rooting for
the Nazis in the shootout, who seem happy to see Hank and Gomez killed. Maybe it's because they'd be saving Walt from jail but even so, Walt himself seemed to realise at the end of last episode what continuing down his path with the Aryans would cost him.

christophmac wrote:I can understand people rooting for Walt since we've had 5 seasons to get to know him - what really surprises me is the amount of people rooting for
the Nazis in the shootout, who seem happy to see Hank and Gomez killed. Maybe it's because they'd be saving Walt from jail but even so, Walt himself seemed to realise at the end of last episode what continuing down his path with the Aryans would cost him.
Now those people should really talk to someone, that's just crazy. :lol:

Oh yeah, regarding Todd, I hated him after the kid moment, and I still think it's a horrible decision, but he's a cool guy. I like that he's trying to prove himself worthy of something. I still remember the moment when he was cooking with Walt and Walt said he'd pay him despite the meth being just okay and he refused, saying he has to do it right first. I mean, I love these little moments. And I love that he respects his superiors and he follows orders as he should.

And about the whole sociopath thing, don't tell you never supported a villain in a film. Or at least like / respect / admire him, especially when they show other sides of him. Don't tell me you didn't love Joker or Bane or other popular villains. And they're just supporting characters. Now, we have something different in Breaking Bad. We have a protagonist. Yes, he's an anti-hero, but he's still the main character of the show. And we've seen his story. We've been with him through his whole journey, 5 seasons. And I don't deny that he's done some terrible things, and that he deviated a lot from his original purpose, but he's still the main character and our guide through this show. And besides that, many people have a tendency of rooting for the bad guy just because we are not allowed to do the things he does. It doesn't mean we are going to do them, but we simply, I don't know, admire him, I guess, for his ability to break the rules which confine us.

That's pretty much how I see it. I could have explained it better, but I'm not Vader.

Even though he makes rash decisions, I think Todd is an interesting character because he seems to have a lot of respect for Walt, maybe even more than Jesse ever did. It's kinda like Todd is the opposing side of the coin to Jesse, if Jesse had a more professional attitude towards cooking and was a neo-Nazi. He's the like the Jesse that Walt always wanted, but his methods are too extreme.

Oh and he fires a gun like a kid playing a carnival game.