Professor X

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Which actor do you think has given a better perfromance as Professor X ?

James McAvoy
28%
Patrick Stewart
72%

Total votes: 18

Last edited by Master Virgo on July 7th, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why not just make one big fucking X-Men orgy?

The same as in the other thread.

2 different characters so you can't really compare them...

Why not keep all of these threads in one thread?

Jonas Agersø wrote:Why not keep all of these threads in one thread?
for being able to make a poll for each one of them.

Anyway, I've gone with Patrick Stewart.

mastervirgo wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:Why not keep all of these threads in one thread?
for being able to make a poll for each one of them.
Ok, but why? Is it really important?

I thought there could be some interesting idea about the difference of those performances and comparing of those actors.

mastervirgo wrote:I thought there could be some interesting idea about the difference of those performances and comparing of those actors.
There is, it's the way the character changes from First Class to where we see him in the original trilogy. First Class depicts a younger Xavier who was brilliant, but also a partier who enjoyed picking up girls in bars. He had a real immature, reckless streak to his character. As the film goes on, we see him fall unintentionally into the position of leader of the government's mutant division. From that point, the film follows Xavier as this new position disciplines him and he gains maturity and responcibility and finds that he has a knack for helping others with mutations. This new scense of maturity climaxes at the point at which he gets shot in the back. This pivital moment is where we start to see the Xavier we're familiar with (Patrick Stewart's version) who is characterized by his very controlled, tranquil grandfatherly nature. If you follow this transition into X-Men 1, you see that Xavier have furthered himself emotionally, which I would credit to the fact that he has had to deal and accept the loss of his legs with is a very largeloss for anyone; and it taught him to accept the cards dealt to him, which shows in how calm he is under pressure in all three of the original trilogy; I don't think he raises his voice once. And he continues in helping mutants feel like they belong and giving them a home in the creation of the x-men and his school. Who could make a better councelor than a telepath?

mastervirgo wrote:I thought there could be some interesting idea about the difference of those performances and comparing of those actors.
Can't really compare performances of the same character if the character's characteristics are different. :lol: 8-)

The same with The Joker... Both Nicholson's and Ledger's were terrific... It's just that the characters are written differently, even the universes alone are different so it's hard to say who was better... it's more about which approach you enjoyed more but not who was better because they are total different variations of that character.