Most Underrated Movies?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If this topic already exists, please lock or delete this thread. I ran a quick search and didn't find anything though.

-Empire of the Sun
-One of my all time favorites, and a fantastic performance from a VERY young Bale! He's adorable! But it's fantastic and really underrated :( It's quite the journey, and I bawl my eyes out (during several scenes) every time! My favorite scene is when he salutes the Japanese suicide bombers and sings a Welsh lullaby :cry: It's just... so... beautiful!!!
-Trailer (I love this trailer- it's really beautiful; I love the poster too, I have it in my room :P): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKbg7RmW8rY

-3:10 to Yuma
-I love me a Western, and this really has that old Western feel to it... but with more blood :D And the testosterone is through the roof! I still love it though! The last scene is so intense, and the characters are fantastic. Absolutely love it! I think a lot of people who have seen it will say that it's pretty underseen and underrated. My favorite scene is when Logan Lerman (playing Bale's son) comes out of nowhere and pulls a gun on Crowe.
-Trailer (Kind of spoilerish so I don't know if it's worth it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeroJ1BK6GQ

-Phoebe in Wonderland
-Criminally underrated and underseen, I really do love this film. Elle Fanning gives a phenomenal performance (and is super adorable) in this beautifully shot and scored film. At times its very hopeful, and at others really depressing, and there are some times where you just have to smile. Great film. I think my favorite scene is one where the Fanning's character is just bawling her eyes out because her acting is just SO GOOD! Oh but also when she first sees Swan Lake, and when Patricia Clarkson's character talks about the 'awful normals.'
-Trailer (not a big fan of this trailer, but whatever): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCJi6_lxAQ

Inception

I personally think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is criminally underrated. Gene Wilder gives one of the best comedic performances of all time, the production value is top notch and its just plain fun.

I love 3:10 to Yuma!

Others I really love but don't get as much recognition:

-Source Code: an awesome and very unique scifi experience
-Watchmen: based off one of the greatest graphic novels of all time. Jackie Earle Haley brings the complexity and personality of Rorschach to life. Has the creative style of Zack Snyder throughout the dystopian world.
-The Prestige: nuff said
Last edited by Addicted2Movies on June 28th, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theweatherman wrote:I personally think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is criminally underrated. Gene Wilder gives one of the best comedic performances of all time, the production value is top notch and its just plain fun.
I agree, when I saw it as a kid, Wilder's performance was one of the few that truly frightened and thrilled me.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Commando = Best action Film ever...

Eyes Wide shut...

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with me...

Cilogy wrote:
theweatherman wrote:I personally think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is criminally underrated. Gene Wilder gives one of the best comedic performances of all time, the production value is top notch and its just plain fun.
I agree, when I saw it as a kid, Wilder's performance was one of the few that truly frightened and thrilled me.
Yeah and I still say for a movie made in 1970 it has incredible production value, not to mention some of the best music ever made for movies. The Candy Man, I've Got a Golden Ticket, and Pure Imagination are simply brilliant.

Underrated means you think it doesn't receive enough praise, right?

Well, amongst the critical (and I suppose general) community:

Lord of the Rings
The Prestige
Inception
Mullholland Dr.
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut
Oldboy
Minority Report
Sunshine

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Underrated means you think it doesn't receive enough praise, right?

Well, amongst the critical (and I suppose general) community:

Mullholland Dr.

Minority Report

Sunshine

-Vader
+3 :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

Yes! Agreed completely! I hated what Burton did with it :( But I love the original! I always find myself singing "Pure Imagination". Wilder is fantastic!
Addicted2Movies wrote:I love 3:10 to Yuma!

Others I really love but don't get as much recognition:

-Source Code: an awesome and very unique scifi experience
-Watchmen: based off one of the greatest graphic novels of all time. Jackie Earle Haley brings the complexity and personality of Rorschach to life. Has the creative style of Zack Snyder throughout the dystopian world.
-The Prestige: nuff said
Agreed on all three! Darn it- I meant to mention Watchmen in my original post. Yeah his portrayal of Rorschach is really incredible. I didn't mention the Prestige (but I thought about it) because I figured since it IS Nolan Fans, everyone would agree. I really loved source code, too. Not as great as Moon, but still one of my favorite movies of the year (so far)!

Another underrated one: An Education! My favorite film of 2009, and Mulligan DEFINITELY should have won Best Actress over Sandra Bullock :evil:

EDIT: Oh! And Marie Antoinette! I'll never understand all the hate for that film!