Toy Story 4 (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This needed more of my favorite character - Jessie.

At least they aren’t killing off old characters faster than a Communist revolution like in a certain sci-fi series....

anikom15 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 3:33 am
At least they aren’t killing off old characters faster than a Communist revolution like in a certain sci-fi series....
you mean the one about a war?

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:47 am
anikom15 wrote:
I understand people having these issues with the new SW trilogy. For 30 years, SW6 was the end, and it was a happy one. And, if you didn't care about the extended universe, and I didn't, you were to imagine the characters had lived a happy life. And then 30 years later, because Disney wants to make money (of course later Abrams, and Johnson approached it as artists, but this new trilogy first happened to make money), because of that, you learn that these characters you loved have in fact lived terrible and depressed lives. This isn't JJ or Johnson's fault, but I understand that some fans didn't want the new trilogy.
I like how all three Godfather eventually reach the same bittersweet feeling. They never radically change what you'd expect Michael's life to look like. This new Toy Story has a very different ending from the previous one but it's done in a beautiful way.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:47 am
anikom15 wrote:
Funny how none of the new characters are dying. It’s not Gundam.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:16 pm
Demoph wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm
This is the correct ending. Although, it may still be possible to find another good one next time. But this one definitely makes sense. New characters are great, but we don't see enough the old ones like mr and mrs Potato.
Overall very good.
Exactly. Prior to seeing it, I kept thinking there was no need for another ending after 3, and there actually was, and I just couldn't see it.
I fucking hated lol

The ending was questionable. I don’t think I understood what the message was. Still, this movie is craft, so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

10/10

anikom15 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 12:28 am
The ending was questionable. I don’t think I understood what the message was. Still, this movie is craft, so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

10/10
Well, obviously there is a lot of existentialism going on thematically, and Forky is the glue to it all.
The "Why/how am I alive?" question being asked regarding Forky (and "Knifey") is something that Woody started contemplating more and more throughout the film for himself, knowing Bonnie is not playing with him anymore (not her fault, she's a five-year-old girl) and attempting to rediscover his own self-worth when he still feels that his purpose is simply to serve them and do what's best for them, each and every time out.

At the turning point of the film, Woody made the gut-wrenching exclamation to Bo that getting Forky back to Bonnie was "all [he had] left!" because he was really just using that as an excuse to find another purpose. What Woody learned at the end however, with the help of Bo (living successfully and fortunately without an owner, even a broken arm not halting her want & will unlike Woody in TS2) and Buzz ("Bonnie will be okay" / "Listen to your inner voice"), is that sometimes what's best for their owners doesn't necessarily involve them in the picture, and that's perfectly fine. He decided to realign his view of himself to fit who he was at that point in time (at the end of TS4), not who he used to be (with Andy), or who he thought he should be.

Even Gabby found her supposed predisposition was a lot more shortsighted than what she ultimately became. We find both Gabby and her ultimate new owner to be lost souls without a voice. Harmony may be perfect, but perfect didn't need Gabby, and in reciprocity Gabby found out she didn't need Harmony. It wasn't the voice box that gave her purpose (you have to remember, before that she didn't even try... that girl would've taken her anyway and her parents would've paid to get her fixed), it was her own discovery that loyalty is only within reach when a grasp of need is prevalent.

Take Bonnie again, for example: she has a sheriff in Jessie, she has a Buzz Lightyear... but she needs a Forky. He was there her first day in a new scary environment when seemingly no one else lent a hand (except Woody, of course). Forky was likely birthed out of necessity, and her maker altered his bodily predisposition. He didn't ever surrender control of his own wants and needs, but did realize where he thinks he best belongs: as Bonnie's "trash."

Toys aren't about what brand they are or features they are equipped with; they are about what their owners make of them, like Andy continually did with Woody and like Bonnie had apparently done with Forky. For Woody, Forky, Gabby, etc. they are so much more than just toys to their owners; and with some peaks and valleys in between, Woody ascended from subservient toy status to true willful sentience, and that started with the conscious choice he made driven by his own conscience.

The best thing about this ending is that while TS3 was the ending to Andy's story, TS4 was the ending to Woody's story. After all, this series is called Toy Story. It was perfect.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 21st, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

You should probably spoil tag that.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I knew I was just overlooking something.

anikom15 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 10:07 am
You should probably spoil tag that.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I knew I was just overlooking something.
Sorry, I totally would have. I thought people were already having "those" conversations here.