Silence (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
and Goodfellas.

After Hours is so underrated.

And The Last Temptation of Christ

And Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

We can just keep rollin on with this

The Departed was the first Scorsese film I ever saw, but I'm happy to say that there's no better introduction to the man's work than seeing it for the first time in a theater. Obviously, it shattered my then preconceived notions of how a film could be constructed, specifically through editing. In retrospect I'll admit that it isn't a particularly groundbreaking film for Scorsese, certainly not in the way that films like Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas and even Hugo do, in ways that push both himself and the form. Nevertheless, I still hold it quite dearly as my gateway drug to the broader world of cinema.

Mine was The Aviator so yeah I kinda feel that way about that.

Also how colour can be used.

Watching The Aviator in a theater back in 2004 was for me the defining moment that made me fall in live with cinema.£

Still sorta OT, but my partner hasn't seen much Scorsese. Only Wolf recently, but Depahted and Shutter when she was much younger.

What five or so Scorsese's should I show her? We're starting with Goodfellas tomorrow leading up to Silence.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Still sorta OT, but my partner hasn't seen much Scorsese. Only Wolf recently, but Depahted and Shutter when she was much younger.

What five or so Scorsese's should I show her? We're starting with Goodfellas tomorrow leading up to Silence.

-Vader
"much younger" like 6 to 10 years younger? :D

Vader182 wrote:Still sorta OT, but my partner hasn't seen much Scorsese. Only Wolf recently, but Depahted and Shutter when she was much younger.

-Vader
Mean Streets
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
King of Comedy
After Hours
The Last Temptation of Christ
Goodfellas

I think they're his best seven (though I haven't seen Kundun or Alice Doesn't live Here Anymore yet)

In preparation for Silence, I think The Last Temptation of Christ is required viewing even if it's not considered amongst his classics.

-Vader
Alice
Taxi
Hours
Christ
Innocence