Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
anything directed by John Ford

The Searchers is the obvious choice though my personal favorites are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and My Darling Clementine. a good one with John Wayne that's (gasp) not a John Ford film is Rio Bravo

i'm less familiar with movies actually about the Civil War. i remember liking Glory

EDIT: if you're looking for something more modern there's always the Coen's True Grit, and i quite like Hell or High Water, and Wind River however the latter two are very modern westerns - might not be exactly what you're looking for
Last edited by Michaelf2225 on January 12th, 2018, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Guitar (1954) is a pretty good western.
Joan Crawford is dominant and Mercedes McCambridge is brilliantly twisted.

Michaelf2225 wrote:anything directed by John Ford

The Searchers is the obvious choice though my personal favorites are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and My Darling Clementine. a good one with John Wayne that's (gasp) not a John Ford film is Rio Bravo

i'm less familiar with movies actually about the Civil War. i remember liking Glory

EDIT: if you're looking for something more modern there's always the Coen's True Grit, and i quite like Hell or High Water, and Wind River however the latter two are very modern westerns - might not be exactly what you're looking for
thank you! I've actually made a mental note to watch My Darling Clementine when I saw someone talk about it in the last seen movie thread, and I've been meaning to get into John Ford, so I was googling his films but didn't know where to start. Rio Bravo also peeked my interest too.

I also made a mental note to see Glory like a month ago after randomly stumbling upon it on reddit i think, so you just solidified my decision haha
DREAMER wrote:Johnny Guitar (1954) is a pretty good western.
is this the one that has that infamous song featured in new vegas radio on a loop which pisses everyone off lol? if so, i'll watch

Ruth wrote:
Michaelf2225 wrote:anything directed by John Ford

thank you! I've actually made a mental note to watch My Darling Clementine when I saw someone talk about it in the last seen movie thread, and I've been meaning to get into John Ford, so I was googling his films but didn't know where to start. Rio Bravo also peeked my interest too.

I also made a mental note to see Glory like a month ago after randomly stumbling upon it on reddit i think, so you just solidified my decision haha
DREAMER wrote:Johnny Guitar (1954) is a pretty good western.
is this the one that has that infamous song featured in new vegas radio on a loop which pisses everyone off lol? if so, i'll watch
I had to Google that and that's coming from someone who enjoyed New Vegas and played it quite often. :facepalm:
But yes Johnny Guitar is a interesting western to check out. Has some great character performances and a fair few famous cinematic shots too.

At the moment I’m trying to get into south American cinema, primarily Brazil. Any recommendations people ?

Is The Devil's Own worth a watch?£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 4:27 am
Dear God no

Master Virgo wrote:
If you hate yourself it is

so no lol

Master Virgo wrote:
I would say no. I remember I was hyped for that movie before it came out and it was a huge let down.

Blind bought Nightcrawler, Enemy, Incendies, and Being John Malkovich for super cheap. Good choices?

Going by the same store tomorrow. Any idea of some obscure recommendations to look for? Planning on looking for Take Shelter, Polytechnique, Inside Llewyn Davis, Moon.

Bacon wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 1:18 am
Blind bought Nightcrawler, Enemy, Incendies, and Being John Malkovich for super cheap. Good choices?

Going by the same store tomorrow. Any idea of some obscure recommendations to look for? Planning on looking for Take Shelter, Polytechnique, Inside Llewyn Davis, Moon.
Nightcrawler is excellent. Being John Malkovich is very good. Haven't seen the rest of that first group.

Only seen Moon which is very good from the 2nd group.