Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
i know people like to shit on the french plantation scenes, but pacing aside, i actually like that chapter of the film. it’s very different, very eerie, like visiting a different time period, or a ghostly memory of if, more like. it’s like a strange comforting (i’m bad with words) stop after hell before the final plunge into madness

Bacon wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm
What version of Apocalypse Now is the best?
theatrical
hearts of darkness doc
workprint cut
redux

Ruth wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 2:08 pm
i know people like to shit on the french plantation scenes, but pacing aside, i actually like that chapter of the film. it’s very different, very eerie, like visiting a different time period, or a ghostly memory of if, more like. it’s like a strange comforting (i’m bad with words) stop after hell before the final plunge into madness
I agree, but I don't think it's the right way to experience Apocalypse Now the first time.

also as Keith says, the doc is vital

-Vader

oh yeah, probably. my “first” was redux though lmao

Ruth wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 2:08 pm
It's a really great scene. And it's incredibly accurate about French society. Coppola made me understand the trauma of the defeat of Dien Bien Phu better than my teachers. The writing of the family leader (Christian Marquand) is very good, he has a kind of ridiculous dignity, that fits perfectly.

lol I remember not getting through the redux version

the theatrical version is the only one I saw in full and it's incredible
I will remain forever shocked for seeing that animal slaughtered. I did not expect to witness that

So, I still haven't seen Linklater's Before Trilogy but I'm thinking of finally giving them a go soon. What's the consensus on them here?

i've grown to appreciate them more over the years, but the ending of the second one is maybe one of the best things ever captured on celluloid

so, worth it

-Vader

Allright cool, looking forward to watch them.

Vader182 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 5:30 pm
i've grown to appreciate them more over the years, but the ending of the second one is maybe one of the best things ever captured on celluloid

so, worth it

-Vader
Seconded