Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Addicted2Movies wrote:I don't have enough time to download anything tonight but I got Big Lebowski so I guess I'll watch that...I wish Moon had worked :(

Vader, you hate Coen films right haha?
Beyond belief, yes.

-Vader

What Almodovar films would you recommend? I've only seen Volver and Talk to Her.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Yeah. It's not like, a good film. It's a blast, but not much beyond that. I mean, we're not talking about American Beauty here.

-Vader
I don't get it. If you have a blast with it how exactly isn't it good? Unless of course you're one of these...
Oh, I didn't see this. Because entertainment isn't synonymous with quality. Tron: Legacy is very close to be trash, but is so entertaining I don't care about the joke of a script, plot holes, bad characters, clunky direction, etc.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Oh, I didn't see this. Because entertainment isn't synonymous with quality. Tron: Legacy is very close to be trash, but is so entertaining I don't care about the joke of a script, plot holes, bad characters, clunky direction, etc.

-Vader
Yeah.... but I don't think Sherlock has any of that. It has a solid script, good characters and I like the direction Guy Ritchie took with it. At least in my opinion.

Alberto wrote:What Almodovar films would you recommend? I've only seen Volver and Talk to Her.
Bad Education
Broken Embraces
Live Flesh
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
All About My Mother
High Heels

Vader182 wrote:Oh, I didn't see this. Because entertainment isn't synonymous with quality. Tron: Legacy is very close to be trash, but is so entertaining I don't care about the joke of a script, plot holes, bad characters, clunky direction, etc.

-Vader
Yeah.... but I don't think Sherlock has any of that. It has a solid script, good characters and I like the direction Guy Ritchie took with it. At least in my opinion.
It does?
The entire 'mystery' is pointless since not a soul would be able to figure out where it was going since it comes out of nowhere,
and it takes basically every element of Sherlock Holmes and dumbs them down into an action/comedy format, and it's mindless action/comedy at that. The characters aren't close to well written. It's well directed and well acted, that's it, but that does make it extremely entertaining.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It does?
The entire 'mystery' is pointless since not a soul would be able to figure out where it was going since it comes out of nowhere,
and it takes basically every element of Sherlock Holmes and dumbs them down into an action/comedy format, and it's mindless action/comedy at that. The characters aren't close to well written. It's well directed and well acted, that's it, but that does make it extremely entertaining.

-Vader
Well... I haven't seen other versions of Sherlock, but I felt the comedy was one of the main things the film had going for it. I do agree that the best thing about it is the performances and direction though. I mean RDJ alone made the film incredibly entertaining to me. Everything else was just an added bonus. I'm not trying to say the script is oscar worthy... just saying it was solid for what it was.

Vader182 wrote:It does?

-Vader
Well... I haven't seen other versions of Sherlock, but I felt the comedy was one of the main things the film had going for it. I do agree that the best thing about it is the performances and direction though. I mean RDJ alone made the film incredibly entertaining to me. Everything else was just an added bonus. I'm not trying to say the script is oscar worthy... just saying it was solid for what it was.
The 'other versions'. Sherlock Holmes was a series of short stories and a few novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, written mostly in the late 1800's, I've read them all, love and cherish the character.

"other versions" :facepalm:

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The 'other versions'. Sherlock Holmes was a series of short stories and a few novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, written mostly in the late 1800's, I've read them all, love and cherish the character.

"other versions" :facepalm:

-Vader
Uh... What's your point? I haven't read any of the Sherlock novels or seen the TV show. I'm just basing all my knowledge off of the film. Don't see why I deserve a facepalm. :roll:

dork