Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 11:20 am
Which Hamlet cherry should I pop first
Stick with the Brits when it comes to Shakespeare, both Laurence Olivier and Branagh's are great. Didn't really like Mel Gibson or Ethan Hawke's

Nomis wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 11:20 am
Which Hamlet cherry should I pop first
Olivier's made me fall in love with Shakespeare. It's judiciously truncated but that's what makes it work as a film. Beautifully, brilliantly photographed too.

Branagh's is the full text and he's a little bit more age-appropriate, but I've always felt that he smothers the drama, and overacts in the lead role. Also the cameos are a mixed bag. Some are organic and brilliant, others are extremely distraction and can yank you out of the experience.

Allright, I think I'll give Olivier's film a first go.

I read that Branagh's film doesn't exactly has a decent blu-ray... A 70mm shot film can look gorgeous on blu-ray. I hope they'll remaster it someday. Just like I'm still waiting for a remaster of Lean's Ryan's Daughter.

any good movie or docs about the modern opioid crisis ?

I still haven't seen Masters of the Universe

Am I in for something along the lines of Excalibur? Or Legend?

What are Humphrey Bogart's best films?

I've only seen Casablanca.

Going on a trip with my friends for New Year's. Was told by them we would see Uncut Gems while on our trip, but they told me today they all want to see Little Women instead...

Not sure whether which I'd rather miss if I had to.

Ozymandias wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

Start with Maltese Falcon and African Queen.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 9:32 pm
Ozymandias wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

Start with Maltese Falcon and African Queen.
Maltese Falcon I greatly enjoyed. Reading a few reviews after watching the film made me appreciate it even more considering the context of when it was made and the infuence it had on the film noir genre.

For anyone here who has a good understanding of the Golden Age of Cinema, from the 1930-1960s, what are 5 films you would recommend from each of those decades? I'm trying to better familiarize myself with that era and wanted to watch the "cream of the crop."

1920s: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans , Metropolis, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Battleship Potemkin

1930s: Stagecoach, The Thin Man, The Grand Illusion, Duck Soup, City Lights

1940s: Citizen Kane, The Third Man, Bicycle Thieves, Notorious, Black Narcissus, Double Indemnity

1950s: Vertigo, Seven Samurai, Sunset Boulevard, 12 Angry Men, Rear Window, The Searchers, Wild Strawberries

1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Apartment, 8 1/2, Lawrence of Arabia, The Graduate, Psycho, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Breathless, Persona

-Vader